Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road
Default Congrats Ravens Fans...

Well it's a fact, and this year the Steelers are bad! Good luck in the playoffs Ravens, and fans!!! Once again I get to HATE Steve McNair twice a season... He's had the Steelers number for most of his career. Hopefully the Steelers can play spoilers to the Bengals next weekend!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Jaguar Rick
rick in nc

Jaguar Rick is on a distinguished road

Way to go Ravens, Steelers win next week, please.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

And with the Colts blowing another game against a team they should beat (career day for Ron Dayne) the Ravens have the #2 spot. If not for a last-minute score by the Chargers they would have been #1.

Chargers and Ravens are clearly the class of the AFC, and excepting the Bears, of the NFL.

Would love to see a rematch of that game in the playoffs; and would love to hear the chatter from fans on both sides before that game is played
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

RavenPoe is on a distinguished road

Yeah. The Ravens seem to have the Steelers number this year. It's not at all the norm. Big Ben seems to struggle against Baltimore. I'm not exactly sure why. He plays well against other teams that pressure him. I assume it must have something to do stopping the run. Batch came in and damn near scored. He moved the field quick. I was glad he wasn't in the whole game.
RavenPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenPoe View Post
Yeah. The Ravens seem to have the Steelers number this year. It's not at all the norm. Big Ben seems to struggle against Baltimore. I'm not exactly sure why. He plays well against other teams that pressure him. I assume it must have something to do stopping the run. Batch came in and damn near scored. He moved the field quick. I was glad he wasn't in the whole game.
RavenPoe,

It looked to me that Big Ben was rattled against Baltimore... he kept looking for the rush and didn't look downfield or avoid the rush like he does against other teams...

I am happy for fans that win games... but I can't be happy for the Ravens winning anything... I made a ranking of my most hated NFL teams on another board..that will remain anonymous... most hated: Baltimore..(next are as follows) New England, Dallas, Oakland, Cincinnati...

So, yay Raven fans:thumbup: ...boo, Raven team...:thumbdown:

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The retirement of Jerome Bettis seems to have knocked the linchpin out from under the entire Pittsburgh offense.

Oh, but some of us here don't seem to think that a power running game is important.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The retirement of Jerome Bettis seems to have knocked the linchpin out from under the entire Pittsburgh offense.

Oh, but some of us here don't seem to think that a power running game is important.

Anthony,

The loss of Bettis was felt. The major reason for the Steelers demise is turnovers... they could have won 4 more games this year easily if they didn't have careless turnovers...

"So it goes"
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

I'm not in the "losing Bettis" camp at all. I'd be willing to bet that losing Chris Hope has had a bigger impact. Pittsburgh hasn't struggled to move the ball on offense at all this season save for against Baltimore. They have struggled to stop 3rd and longs. That's a back breaker for the defense. Chris Hope brought more to the table than anybody knew.

I'd say add a shutdown corner and a respectable safety and Pittsburgh is a superbowl contender next year. They can free up cap space by cutting Jeff Hartings. The Steelers have an ace in the hole in backup center Chukky Okobi. He'd be starting on most teams.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #9
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
I'm not in the "losing Bettis" camp at all. I'd be willing to bet that losing Chris Hope has had a bigger impact. Pittsburgh hasn't struggled to move the ball on offense at all this season save for against Baltimore. They have struggled to stop 3rd and longs. That's a back breaker for the defense. Chris Hope brought more to the table than anybody knew.

I'd say add a shutdown corner and a respectable safety and Pittsburgh is a superbowl contender next year. They can free up cap space by cutting Jeff Hartings. The Steelers have an ace in the hole in backup center Chukky Okobi. He'd be starting on most teams.
I think it is a lack of defensive line play... I think Ryan Clark played very well at safety before he got injured... Pittsburgh couldn't get a pass rush with 4 rushers this year, it would leave any secondary exposed.. Anthony Smith, Anthony Madison, Bryant McFadden, the Steelers have some solid youngsters in the defensive backfield...

I sincerely hope they don't cut Jeff Hartings... Okobi is okay, but he isn't Hartings....

"So it goes"
Old 12-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

Quote:
I sincerely hope they don't cut Jeff Hartings... Okobi is okay, but he isn't Hartings....
BBP,

Remember when everyone claimed that Pittsburgh's dominance at the line of scrimmage was over after Dermontti Dawson retired? I'm pretty sure that you'll be ok after Hartings.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #11
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

Quote:
BBP,

Remember when everyone claimed that Pittsburgh's dominance at the line of scrimmage was over after Dermontti Dawson retired? I'm pretty sure that you'll be ok after Hartings.

RavenPoe,

If the coaching philosophy remains the same, I am sure you are correct... Mike Webster, Dermonti Dawson, Jeff Hartings... that center position has been stellar for over 30 years...

The jury is still out on Cowher being back next year...

"So it goes"
Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
AmpleSound
Grizzled Veteran

AmpleSound is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Chris Hope was good, but come on now, Ryan Clark has stepped in and done a fine job this season! They need to solidify the corner position as you said... Losing Bettis wasn't near as bad as many people say, so I'm not going to that camp either . Though as BBP stated turnovers killed their season, and giving up the big 3rd downs as you stated...