Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Weed makes you say funny things...

like admitting you smoke it.

This is a first. Weed kills...brain cells. :lol:

& throw in the Stackhouse comments & you have a segment of Comedy Central. What a couple of morons...

Nothing like being totally focused on trying to win games instead of working on getting air-time for stupid crap.

excerpt:

Howard: 'I have and do partake in smoking weed'

DALLAS (AP) - Hours before the Dallas Mavericks' biggest game of the year, forward Josh Howard went on the radio Friday to talk about something else - his fondness for marijuana.

It was quite a follow-up to teammate Jerry Stackhouse calling opposing coach Byron Scott "a sucker in my book" on local airwaves.

Howard's comments are more serious because marijuana use is illegal and eligible for punishment from the NBA. It's a topic he's addressed before, but never so publicly, so close to tipping off such an important game, the Mavericks down 0-2 in their first-round series against the New Orleans Hornets.

"Most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes," Howard told The Michael Irvin Show on the local ESPN affiliate. "I mean, that's my personal choice and my personal opinion, but I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job."

Howard is among the team's most-criticized players because he's averaging only 13.5 points, down from 19.9 in the regular season. Even that's down from the high 20s he averaged earlier this season.

"Just because I'm not scoring the same way I've been scoring, that's no reason for the media to say, 'Oh, it's because he's getting high," Howard told Irvin. "I'm still in season. I'm not smoking nothing."

Stackhouse's comments came on his radio show Wednesday night.

"I don't think Byron Scott is the best coach or I don't think he's the best guy to deal with - you know what I'm sayin'? - from some things that I've heard from other players and just some dealings that I had with him earlier in the season," Stackhouse said.

Stackhouse said he "was about ready to" beat up Scott during the second game of this season.

"He was sitting on the sideline and we just got into a little conversation or something and he was going to tell me, you know, 'Talk to me when you get a ring,"' Stackhouse said. "I told that fool, 'If I played with Magic and Worthy and Kareem, I'd have a ring, too."'

Team owner Mark Cuban said he's talked to Howard about his interview and any punishment will be handled internally. He added that he hadn't heard from the league office.

What does he think of two starters being so chatty at such a pivotal time of their season?

"It depends if we win or lose," Cuban said. "If we win, 'Boy, it's amazing what guys do for motivation. It worked!' If we lose, 'Oh, what a distraction."'...

Stackhouse said he was surprised his comments became a story, but he understands the attention Howard has drawn.

"Josh is a free spirit, to say the least," Stackhouse said. "Hopefully he can let some of this slide by. It's not the ideal situation for everyone to be talking about going into Game 3, down 0-2. ... We don't look at him no differently, we don't think about him no differently. We realize he's still a young player in his own right. He did what he did and we'll move on."

Howard, an All-Star last season, is in the second year of a $40 million, five-year contract that keeps him through 2010-11.

He was the ACC player of the year coming out of Wake Forest, but the Mavericks were able to draft him at the end of the first round in 2003. His marijuana use has been blamed for his draft stock plummeting.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quick correction:

Marijuana does NOT kill brain cells.

That's all.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

cells brain kill Not does Marijuana. it Got.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Government experts now admit that pot doesn't kill brain cells. This myth came from a handful of animal experiments in which structural changes (not actual cell death, as is often alleged) were observed in brain cells of animals exposed to high doses of pot. Many critics still cite the notorious monkey studies of Dr. Robert G. Heath, which purported to find brain damage in three monkeys that had been heavily dosed with cannabis. This work was never replicated and has since been discredited by a pair of better controlled, much larger monkey studies, one by Dr. William Slikker of the National Center for Toxicological Research and the other by Charles Rebert and Gordon Pryor of SRI International. Neither found any evidence of physical alteration in the brains of monkeys exposed to daily doses of pot for up to a year. Human studies of heavy users in Jamaica and Costa Rica found no evidence of abnormalities in brain physiology. Even though there is no evidence that pot causes permanent brain damage, users should be aware that persistent deficits in short-term memory have been noted in chronic, heavy marijuana smokers after 6 to 12 weeks of abstinence. It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol (mush), are known to cause brain damage.

In addition, scientists recently found that marijuana appears to promote the development of new brain cells and have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects, a finding that could have an impact on the national debate over medical uses of the drug.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol (mush), are known to cause brain damage.

Geebus take a joke. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51WT8J1_ic
Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
:lol:

I know, I just like to clear up common misconceptions when they come up. :thumbup:

-----

Back on topic:

If anyone is surprised by the "Most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes," comments, then you don't pay much attention to the NBA.

They don't test for marijuana in the NBA or the MLB - as it should be for every profession.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they smoke pot?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
themush
Banned

First of all I DON'T TAKE THE POT (incase you SOB's try to strong arm me later). Secondly, there are far more dangerous drugs that need full attention.

The only reason I can think of as to not smoke pot.......... it's illegal?????? Maybe that's a start.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
First of all I DON'T TAKE THE POT (incase you SOB's try to strong arm me later). Secondly, there are far more dangerous drugs that need full attention.

The only reason I can think of as to not smoke pot.......... it's illegal?????? Maybe that's a start.
Yeah, but it's only kind of illegal.

For instance, in my state, the great state of Ohio, possession of marijuana under 200 grams (which is a lot of weed) is a civil offense, not a criminal offense. In other words, it is the equivalent of speeding or running a stop sign. You get a ticket for under $100 and you send it in the mail, never having to appear in court.

The following states have all decriminalized possession of marijuana:

Alaska
California
Colorado
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon

Unfortunately for Howard, he lives (or at least works) in Texas... One of the most conservative states in the country.

Nevertheless, I think most Americans would agree, smoking pot is no big deal, and less harmful than almost any other drug, including alcohol. Everyone deserves the right to "get away" if you know what I mean. Some people don't like alcohol or prescription drugs.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

You know, Fresh, if we were in person & you started saying all these things, I'd put you in a headlock & give you an Indian burn.

You aren't correcting any misconceptions about weed killing brain cells. My comment is beyond factual in it's intentions. Bottom line: any idiot, & I mean true idiot, that is moronic enough to buck the whole system by admitting to smoking an illegal drug, one that comes with major troubles from the powers-that-be, & in the middle of a playoff series that at the time had your team down 2-0 & you also in the midst of a down year is obviously brain dead from sheer stupidity.

Now if you had stayed in the theme of the thread, you would have had an opinion on his action, & Stackhouse for that matter, than spending all those hijack posts to 'teach' me & the rest of the gang.

Now don't think I'm mad about it. I just wanted to correct any misconception of the thread's purpose.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

I stayed on topic Tark... maybe not the direction you had in mind, but I addresed the issue at hand.

Thread Nazi

Think Fresh.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

You goof...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
You goof...
I never denied that :thumbup:

I agree, that he shouldn't have said such a thing, especially at this point in the post season. It does nothing more than hurt his image, and the image of the NBA.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

From a basketball perspective, it was dumb, I agree. But from a NORML perspective, it was ballsy, and I'm VERY impressed with the guts it took to say something like that. There's no reason to test for weed in any sport, unless you try to make the case that it's a "performance enhancing drug" which, I guess I could see from some POV.

I'd rather have my star player at home smoking weed than out at the club with Pacman or Javon Walker or even out at the club, period.

He's brave, and I hope he continues on to be a spokesperson of sorts for responsible marijuana legislation.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Careful Deavo, Tark is still lurking.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Careful Deavo, Tark is still lurking.

Naww, deavo stayed on topic & didn't try to make this thread about some kind of rebuttal to an unknown statement on weed killing brain cells.