Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
RangerCup08
Rookie Player

RangerCup08 is on a distinguished road
Default Top 5 teams for 2011

I guess its never to early to make you predictions for next year.. I was reading an article about it and thought it would be a good discussion to have here. Heres the article: Game On - On The Hardwood: Early Top Five For 2011

I don't fully agree with it tho I'm going to say that its going to be Villanova, Butler , Georgetown , Michigan State and Duke but not in that particular order. What do you guys think?
RangerCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Butler for sure, Syracuse is always a threat, Xavier, Michigan State, Duke

After watching Georgetown versus Ohio I have NO FAITH in them or their coach.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Vito Curcuru
Vito Curcuru

Vito Curcuru is on a distinguished road

I can see MSU, Duke and Villanova. Georgetown makes me nervous. It will be interesting to see who Kentucky gets at the last second. I heard on Sirius/XM John Calipari is telling recruits he doesn't expect John Wall back-so they can play right away.
Vito Curcuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Butler for sure
Assuming their coach is still around for next season. He is rumored to be the top candidate for the newly open Wake job and Oregon is also rumored to be interested and will offer him far more money than Butler can afford.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Curcuru View Post
I can see MSU, Duke and Villanova. Georgetown makes me nervous. It will be interesting to see who Kentucky gets at the last second. I heard on Sirius/XM John Calipari is telling recruits he doesn't expect John Wall back-so they can play right away.
Well Walls, Cousins, Patterson, Orton, and Bledsoe all declared for the draft yesterday so there should be plenty of minutes to go around. Although I expect Bledsoe and Orton will be back.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Assuming their coach is still around for next season. He is rumored to be the top candidate for the newly open Wake job and Oregon is also rumored to be interested and will offer him far more money than Butler can afford.
If I were he, I'd take Letterman up on his offer. But even if the coach leaves Butler has the talent, they can learn from Xavier and they will continue to be successful. Xavier has gone through outrageous numbers of players, and several coaches as well, but aside from a couple teams like MSU and UNC they have the most tournament apperances and wins in the last decade.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The thing with Butler is, yes they will still theoretically have the talent assuming Hayward does not try to cash in on the Final Four run and go pro while his stock his high, but from what everyone says about Stevens he is going to be one of those "it" coaches that is going to be worthy of getting a shot at one of the big time programs. The odds of them getting another coach of that ilk are pretty slim for Butler.

They would still likely be good without Stevens but I doubt they'd be elite.

Xavier is a good program but it is not, and never has been, an elite program. Nobody has ever mentioned them as a preseason Final Four favorite the way they are talking about Butler for next season.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

This is true, Stevens is a great coach, and I personally hope he stays with Butler. Butler has been a top 25 program for a while now tho right? Before Stevens too. And if Stevens comes back there is no gurantee they do good in the tournament. I think we all no they are going to be back next March, but it's tough to continue this kind of success every year in the tournament. Ask UNC, and George Mason (they haven't even been MENTIONED since that final four run)

Also, as for Xavier, give them credit. They should be considered more than a mid-major. They've been underappreciated, and underestimated for years. They BARELY cracked the top 25 this year after a STELLAR season, and the only time ESPN even mentioned them was when they made it to the sweet 16 (AGAIN). Maybe not elite, but they are no slouch either, and with Jordan Crawford back next season it's time to start talking about sweet 16 again, and possibly even elite 8. I personally see them in the final four, but I'm a HUGE Xavier fan.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

PS Breaking News

Stevens signs 12-year deal with Butler - College Basketball - Rivals.com

12 more years at Butler, apparently he doesn't want to go to a major program.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
This is true, Stevens is a great coach, and I personally hope he stays with Butler. Butler has been a top 25 program for a while now tho right? Before Stevens too. And if Stevens comes back there is no gurantee they do good in the tournament. I think we all no they are going to be back next March, but it's tough to continue this kind of success every year in the tournament. Ask UNC, and George Mason (they haven't even been MENTIONED since that final four run)
George Mason was a one time deal though. Butler has always been a pretty strong mid-major team.

UNC is a perfect example of what happens to programs that live and die by trying to recruit the very best talent and not having enough depth to back it up when those guys leave. Which is why it is going to be interesting to see what happens at Kentucky next season with all of those guys apparently leaving for the NBA.

Quote:
Also, as for Xavier, give them credit. They should be considered more than a mid-major. They've been underappreciated, and underestimated for years. They BARELY cracked the top 25 this year after a STELLAR season, and the only time ESPN even mentioned them was when they made it to the sweet 16 (AGAIN). Maybe not elite, but they are no slouch either, and with Jordan Crawford back next season it's time to start talking about sweet 16 again, and possibly even elite 8. I personally see them in the final four, but I'm a HUGE Xavier fan.
I did give them credit for being a good program, they just are not an elite program. My point was it is easier to maintain status quo at a good program with a coach moving up from a smaller program than it is at an elite program with a coach making a step up.

Look at what happened at Kentucky with Gillispie and UNC with Matt Doherty they were both good coaches coming from football schools that only paid attention to basketball when the team was winning and they both wilted in the pressure cooker at elite programs.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
PS Breaking News

Stevens signs 12-year deal with Butler - College Basketball - Rivals.com

12 more years at Butler, apparently he doesn't want to go to a major program.
Meh, how many coaches do we sign big extensions like this at smaller schools only to leave a year or two later when one of the big boys backs a truck load of cash up to the front door?

Without knowing what kind of escape clauses are in the contract it is hard to say how committed he is to staying. How much is the buyout of the contract? Does it include a list of schools that he could get out of the contract if he gets an offer to coach there?

He very well may have no interest in the Wake job but I find it hard to believe that if one of the big boys like say Indiana came calling that he would not entertain the offer.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Meh, how many coaches do we sign big extensions like this at smaller schools only to leave a year or two later when one of the big boys backs a truck load of cash up to the front door?

Without knowing what kind of escape clauses are in the contract it is hard to say how committed he is to staying. How much is the buyout of the contract? Does it include a list of schools that he could get out of the contract if he gets an offer to coach there?

He very well may have no interest in the Wake job but I find it hard to believe that if one of the big boys like say Indiana came calling that he would not entertain the offer.
I agree; Stevens is a hot commodity and no way he's staying at Butler when a bigger job opens. Unless he wants to try to be a Coach K-type and build his own legacy at one school.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Your right their is no way of knowing about if he'll leave or not, but a 12 year deal?
I personally want to look at the contract and see what his options are, but I don't know if I see him leaving, especially if he takes Butler to a national championship game. Why not build your legacy at one school, he really seems to love Butler.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #14
Lewis
Rookie Player

Lewis is on a distinguished road

I think MSU, Duke and Villanova. Georgetown makes me nervous. It will be interesting to see who Kentucky gets at the last second. nmow lets see what happans
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
Sports Guru
Banned

Sports Guru is on a distinguished road

Butlers have the potential to rock, Syracuse are not to be taken easy, Xavier, Michigan and Duke are the top teams of college baseball in my opinion, Ohio state has disappointed.
Sports Guru is offline   Reply With Quote