Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-06-2001, 04:19 PM   #1
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Yankees reach deal with Giambi

My worst (or at least current worst) fears were confirmed today when the Yankees reached a deal with Jason Giambi. The 7-year, $128 million deal pulled Giambi away from Oakland and into the ranks of my least favorite team in all of professional sports! Look for the Yanks to be as dangerous as ever with these two big signings: Giambi and coach Joe Torre. Good news for Yankees fans. Bad news for me.
Quote:
Giambi agrees to leave Oakland for Yankees
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1206/1291052.html

NEW YORK -- Jason Giambi will indeed be a New York Yankee next season. And for the next six after that.

Giambi has agreed to a seven-year, $128 million contract with the Yankees, according to ESPN's Dan Patrick, who made the announcement on his daily ESPN Radio show.

The Yankees have yet to comment. The Oakland A's, Giambi's team since he came to the major leagues in 1995, also have made no comment.

Giambi has yet to take a physical with the Yankees. The office of Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, told ESPN's Peter Gammons on Thursday that the physical is not the only obstacle remaining before a deal can be sealed.

Yankees manager Joe Torre called Giambi in recent weeks in hopes of luring him to New York. This past season, the 2000 American League Most Valuable Player batted .342 with 38 home runs, 120 RBI and a league-leading 129 walks

He was second in the 2001 MVP balloting to Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki.

Last year, Torre made a call to right-hander Mike Mussina, who left the Baltimore Orioles for a six-year, $88.5 million deal and went 17-11 with a 3.15 ERA.

First baseman Tino Martinez, one of four Yankees starters that has been with the club since Torre took over, is a free agent. Torre also called Martinez to let him know the team is pursuing Giambi.

On Wednesday, Torre put his signature on a new three-year contract worth over $16 million.

Giambi has told Torre he wants to play first base, not designated hitter. According to an AL scout, the Yankees think of Giambi as an average first baseman. Torre told New York reporters he would try Giambi at first base, but Oakland manager Art Howe told a newspaper he thinks the Yankees may have something else planned.

"I've heard rumors that the Yankees are looking at him as a DH, not a first baseman," Howe said. "Whether they tell him that or not is another story."

The Yankees, according to the New York Post, even trotted out Hall of Famer Yogi Berra to contact Giambi with his own sales pitch for the Yankees.

"I told him to come to the Yankees," Berra told the Post. "I met him at the Bob Hope Classic last year and he is a good kid. He can help the Yankees. I told him that the right-field fence at the Stadium is a lot shorter than the one in Oakland."

Since losing the World Series in seven games to Arizona, right fielder Paul O'Neill, third baseman Scott Brosius and backup infielder Luis Sojo have retired.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are on the verge of signing reliever Steve Karsay to a four-year contract and reports continue to circulate of their attempt to bring in outfielder Moises Alou.

Where will this money come from? The Yankees payroll is $23.75 million less than it was last season, thanks to getting rid of the contracts of Martinez, O'Neill, Brosius and Chuck Knoblauch.

The second player doesn't necessarily have to be Alou. The Yankees are known to have inquired about virtually every major free agent, including everyone from Juan Gonzalez to Roger Cedeno.

As for third base, Torre seems comfortable with Drew Henson taking over sometime next season. Henson, Michigan's quarterback before he rejoined the Yankees last March, struggled at Triple-A as he recovered from a broken hand.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #2
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

That's just great. :redhot:

My only question now is -- why even bother re-signing Torre? With all the rumors floating around that the Yanks "wishlist" includes signing Steve Karsay, signing Moises Alou, and trading for Cliff Floyd, why have Torre manage the team? I'm pretty confident a trained chimpanzee could manage this team.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bostonsportsfan
That's just great. :redhot:

My only question now is -- why even bother re-signing Torre? With all the rumors floating around that the Yanks "wishlist" includes signing Steve Karsay, signing Moises Alou, and trading for Cliff Floyd, why have Torre manage the team? I'm pretty confident a trained chimpanzee could manage this team.
...not to mention Hideo Nomo from the Red Sox!

[[Full Story on MSNBCsports.com]]

Last edited by lmanchur.; 12-06-2001 at 10:08 PM.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 11:20 PM   #4
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

They can have Nomo.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:47 AM   #5
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

They can have Nomo, in my opinion, he isn't worth the contract he's gonna get. I don't know if Karsay's worth the 4-6 million dollars he's being offered either, at least as a setup man. Something tells me the Yankee payroll can only go so high, and it seems they're throwing money around a little carelessly this offseason.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 09:26 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Brandon
....it seems they're throwing money around a little carelessly this offseason.
True... when was the last time they signed a free agent that has as big of a "superstar name" as "Giambi?"

Not since I can remember, that's for sure!!! Mussina? Meh -- not that big of a baseball star, but definitely a good pitcher. Everyone's heard of Giambi, though -- home run king (at the all-star derby, at least), and '00 AL MVP. Yankees haven't pulled off a move like that for some time.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:45 AM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Until something is done, the Yankees are going to be able to buy whoever they want. This case with Giambi is no different; I can't say I didn't expect it, either. And I fear we will go through another nasty strike if salary caps are instated.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:24 PM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

I think Giambi would be a good investment. I think he'll have to DH eventually. When I was talking about the Yankees throwing money around, I was talking about Karsay. Karsay the closer is worth the money they're giving him, maybe more. But Karsay the set-up guy isn't, in my opinion. Plus now that they have Ventura, are they going to make another move? My guess is yes, probably either Moises Alou or Cliff Floyd, which is another big amount. My guess is that it'll be Alou for around 10 million a year. Like I said, the Yankees are just throwing money around like there's no tomorrow. To tell you the truth, the Yankees are one of the smartest organizations in baseball, but I balk at some of the decisions they're making this year. The one I really like for them is their swap of Ventura/Justice.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:29 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Should be an interesting season next year, if baseball is played at all. The CBA needs to be redone and I haven't heard anything about negotiations in that regard. I'm not too optimistic about an easy round of talks this time.
If the season starts on time, the Yankees will definitely be the team to beat. They have the best you can have. Good clubhouse chemistry, a great manager, and an owner not afraid to open his wallet to make the team better.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 03:15 AM   #10
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Who blew it for the A's

Yeah the A's owners just blew it.

They had a chance to re-sign Jason Giambi before the season started and early on in the season when Jason was giving them a "hometown discount". The contract offer at the time was still $91 million over 6 years. A's General Manager Billy Beane and Giambi's agent Arn Tellem had an agreement in place but the A's owners, Steve Schott and Ken Hoffmann didn't want to give Giambi the "no-trade" clause. That was the only stumbling block and the A's owners wouldn't budge on that. So then Tellem and Giambi said in effect, "Our acceptance of your offer is now withdrawn and we'll have to start from scratch".

By the time the offseason came around and Schott and Hoffmann gave into the "no trade" clause, it was too late.

Quote:
Originally posted by catman:

Should be an interesting season next year, if baseball is played at all. The CBA needs to be redone and I haven't heard anything about negotiations in that regard. I'm not too optimistic about an easy round of talks this time.
Oh I heard what's going to happen is that the players and owners will just extend the Collective Bargaining Agreement for one year and then start over with the same mess the next offseason.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 01:56 PM   #11
Brandon
is lurking...

I truly think the owners ARE smart enough to realize that they can't have a work stoppage. I believe they will extend the CBA another year too, but next year, look out. Cause the owners are going to get on their Contraction bandwagon and we're possibly looking at quite a battle between the players and owners.

Back on the subject of Jason Giambi. Where are the pinstripes? And why did they with Tino Martinez into arbitration? Maybe this isn't a done deal. But then again, I don't see where he'll go anywhere else besides Oakland or New York. Maybe Oakland still does have a chance.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:27 PM   #12
Brandon
is lurking...

Well it looks like the Yankees finally got their man for $120 million for 7 years. Took them long enough to lock him up. I was looking at average salaries on cnnsi.com and there's a couple interesting things. First off, the average salary of a player has now reached 2 million.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ries_chart_ap/

Look at the Yankees average salary now compared to the rest of the league. They are almost garunteed of cracking the four million mark per player this year. But look at the numbers on that page, its quite interesting.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:43 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Thumbs down

Well, it finally happened. I'm glad it has now - so we can get this over with. Yanks buy another big star.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:28 PM   #14
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames
Yanks buy another big star.
When was the most recent time prior to this they bought, and I quote, "a big star"????
Old 12-14-2001, 07:44 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
When was the most recent time prior to this they bought, and I quote, "a big star"????
Let me rephrase what I was trying to say... my intention was not trying to come across literally, but more figuratively. Many picked the Yanks from the beginning to buy Giambi and pretty much anyone else they wanted, so with this, the prediction became reality.