Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-04-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Lee Corso Rips SEC -- Justified?

Quote:
Not once did anyone at the Atlanta Sports Council college football kickoff luncheon pause in mid-mouthful and hit Lee Corso with his signature comeback: "Not so fast, my friend!"

Not when Corso, the ESPN analyst and college football zealot, said, "Oklahoma plays better defense than any team in the SEC by far."

Not when Corso anointed Nebraska --"better than anywhere I've been" -- as the best environment and venue in the college game. Not even when Corso declared the Big 12 the best conference "from top to bottom."

And when Corso addressed the current perception of the SEC, the crowd at Thursday's annual luncheon at the Marriott Marquis grew absolutely silent.

"Everybody cheats," Corso said. "Everybody's a bunch of cheaters, a bunch of crooks. The SEC's got a public relations problem. They'd better show they've got more than that."

As the SEC concluded its three-day preseason media session in Birmingham, Corso was his typically captivating self there. The featured speaker on a program that included new Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and Georgia strength and conditioning coach Dave Van Halanger, Corso entertained a crowd of about 500; then he gave them pause about the SEC, where two schools (Alabama and Kentucky) are on probation and two more (Tennessee and LSU) are investigating academic fraud. This week, NCAA investigators went to Starkville, Miss., to look into possible violations at Mississippi State.

"The national view is, the SEC cheats," said Corso, once the head coach at Louisville and later Indiana. "The SEC's going to get a bad reputation, like the Southwest Conference got 10, 15 years ago. You know what happened to them?" Corso made a whistling sound; the Southwest Conference was disbanded after the 1995 football season.

"If I was the SEC," said Corso said, "I'd put out a public relations program and show all the good things they do."

As for repeat offenders, Corso said, "When these people continually cheat, you've got to run them 'em out of the game. You don't let them 'em coach any more. You can't let them 'em cheat. The only way we can clean up college football is to be really tough on them.

"I got my can fired at Indiana," he said. "But in 17 years [as a head coach], I never had one NCAA investigator talk to me."

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The SEC seems to have developed a bad reputation in the last five years with scandals galore -- is the SEC really in this bad of shape and can new Commissioner Mike Slive turn things around? Let's hear your take.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

Look, the truth is that if you're very successful in NCAA football, you're probably cheating somewhat, although I'm not saying alot. If the NCAA had enough people to investigate deeply into every 1-A program, I guarantee there would be more than just SEC schools.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I think I agree with Corso, though I still think he is an annoying little piece of crap.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, as much as I can't stand Corso's comments, I actually can't argue with him with points other than what Ross in Big D has said has said about every Division 1 program. Corso always makes outlandish statements that are very blunt to say the least, but he does kinda tell it like it is many times.

Oklahoma's defense just may be better than any SEC team I will not deny that, but let's play the season Corso and see how it goes before annointing them the best! And saying that Nebraska has the best atmosphere in college football??? Are you kidding me??? I disagree with that! Now the Nebraska fans are very loyal and travel well with their team, but to me Nebraska is not the best college football atmosphere! And Mr. Corso guess what... the Big 12 is just as top heavy as the SEC! So, top to bottom I say the SEC and Big 12 are fairly close. I think Big 12 has more firepower this upcoming season in big teams of Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, and others compared to Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, LSU and others....but there is no huge gap there at all in my estimation.

Corso see you on Gameday this year, and I hope that the SEC shuts your mouth, and even then, when they win he will call them cheaters....lol!

Joey
Old 08-09-2002, 12:49 AM   #5
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

What the hell did he say, I missed it?
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:09 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Why don't you try reading what I posted? That's what Corso said, assuming that's your question.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

haha..My bad..Hes right..He needs to add the ACC to.. Everyone knows that FSU and all those other FL schools give their players money and cars...
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote