Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road
Default Wie halfway there

Michelle Wie is 1 under after her first round at the john Deere classic. This is awsome it is proving that it doesn't matter what sex you are in golf if you got skill you can succed. It is going to be awsome seeing a women make a cut on the tour for the first time in 60 years. The ratings are going to go up tremendously tomorrow and during the weekend if she is any where near the lead.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It is a remarkable story and it will be fun to watch ... she is going to be scary by the time she's 20 if she keeps it up. I mean, a 6-2 15-year-old girl? Rare.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It amazes me how the hype machine ramps up when she is tied for 72nd in the tournament and only 70 make the cut. Yeah she has a shot, but it is not exactly guranteed. Plus, we are not exactly looking at a stacked field here. I mean David Toms is the only top 20 player in this tournament. None of the big name players are there which is probably the only reason Wie got invited in the first place. I am not convinced this will lead to any kind of a ratings bump for the tournament. I mean nobody watches when she is competing on the LPGA tour.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

This is her third PGA event. In one, she missed the cut by one. In this one, she's also one stroke off the cutline. I don't understand what guys like Doublee are talking about. Not only is she finishing in the middle of the pack in a PGA Tour event, but she's doing it at age 15! This IS remarkable! You're gonna downplay this because there's not enough top twenty players in the field for you? If there were more top-20 in the field, she still woulda shot a 70 today, and that still would be better than half the guys in the field. If you're gonna say, "Bah, she made the cut, but she didn't beat Tiger Woods!" then you're always going to find a reason to downgrade her amazing accomplishments.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

My point is if this tournament had some serious competition in it instead of what are largely the bottom feeders of the tour she would not be anywhere close to making the cut tomorrow.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

why golf is one of those sports where others performances don't have any effect on yours. There would also be bottom feeders in the tourney and the cut would be close to the same give the girl credit doublee.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
My point is if this tournament had some serious competition in it instead of what are largely the bottom feeders of the tour she would not be anywhere close to making the cut tomorrow.
Okay, I'm not sure you understand golf that well.

Even if all twenty were in the field, and they were all kicking a**, that still would only affect the cutline by perhaps a stroke. Two at the most. The cut is made by the top seventy and ties. Usually, this means 75-85 make the cut. So a few of the top in the world would not be enough to affect the cut line. A few more of the top in the world also probably wouldn't affect the cut line, because chances are a few wouldn't play well. If they all showed up and they all played well, that would only be sufficient to push the cut line by a stroke or two.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote