Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Week 4 thoughts

*Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Purdue were supposed to be waaaay ahead of the rest of the Big Ten, and they all had NC aspirations. Only Purdue made it out of the non-conference season unbeaten, and even that comes with a big asterisk because they have one non-conference opponent left: Notre Dame.

Now, after just ONE WEEK of Big Ten play, only one of the "big four in the Big Ten (Ohio State)!

Michigan State scares me the most of the new guard. But if the football gods exact vengeance on teams (as Gregg Easterbrook contends) that run up the score, it should be noted that the Spartans were throwing....on fourth down....in the red zone....with under a minute to go....up 64-17.

I tend to defend Northwestern (great offense, .500 record in the Big Ten every year but no one seems to realize it), but Penn State's victory over the Cats - it took a 4th and 15 conversion on the final drive - does not impress me, at least not as much as the victories by Minnesota and Michigan State.

The 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers were the best, most dominant team since I have been paying attention. They beat Washington State 35-21. No one else got within 22 points of them all season.

USC definitely, definitely has a chance to be just as dominant, but if they fall short of '95 Nebraska-level glory, it's gonna be this week at Arizona State where they trip up and play a game close. Sorry, Cal and Notre Dame.

Hawaii has sweet road unis - silver helmets, pants and numbers

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I was really Suprised by the way Minnesota played look out for them. Too bad they won't get to play in the rosebowl becuase of the BCS (Don't get me started on that) but they are my favorite at the moment to win the big ten. There running game is feirce.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Minnesota do this every year under Glenn Mason? They start the year strong and beat someone nobody expects them too only to fade when they have to go on the road and play outside late in the Big Ten season?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Minnesota do this every year under Glenn Mason? They start the year strong and beat someone nobody expects them too only to fade when they have to go on the road and play outside late in the Big Ten season?
You're not wrong. Minnesota will collapse, it's only a matter of time. They always play a cupcake non conference schedule, then carry that momentum to win at least their first 1 or 2 Big Ten games, then they get worn down and reality sets in. This year will be no different.

Now I pretty much just guaranteed that they will win the Big Ten by saying that, I'm sure. :uhoh:
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

UGA's red zone issues continue. Several trips into the red zone, including 1st and goal at the 1 and can't punch it in. If they pull that in Knoxville, they will go home w/a loss.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Hey Amber, stll want Smith outta the game?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:18 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Forgot to mention: What a beast Calhoun in for Wisconsin. I loved how they would go to him on about 20 consecutive plays and Michigan STILL couldn't stop him, even though they could really afford to key on him because the rest of Wisconsin's offense was so inept. He's the best RB in the Big Ten IMO, not Laurence Maroney.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
AmberOSU
All-Star Player

AmberOSU is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dublin Mike
Hey Amber, stll want Smith outta the game?
If he keeps fumbling the ball, yes.
AmberOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, after last night I guess the fire Les Myles watch is on in Baton Rouge after blowing a 20-point lead to the Vols. :lol:
Old 09-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

No more question on who is qb in Tennesee. Clausen finally gets the job after getting stepped all over at LSU and Tennesse. The injury to Ally Brossard is what's really hurting LSU imo. Though they are deep at rb. Larunce Marooney is fun to watch. period. He's the biggest draw in college football for me. Boston College got a huge bounce back win. Clemson is still a good team. win over AandM, Maryland, losses to ot to Miami and Boston College. Boston College really impressed my w/o Quinton Porter and showed they are for real more so than they did against Florida State. Virginia Tech, USC looked stellar. With Wisconsen's huge win over Michigan UNC looks like a decent team. They beat NC State, lost to GT, and played Wisconsen tight.

Feel like updating the heisman race.

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

doublee...

I told ya about Myles young man (waving finger).

Let me have this one. I'm rarely correct on anything...LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I hope Michigan State goes undefeated.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
doublee...

I'm "Miles," but I thought you guys might've found this bit from SI.com's college football mailbag telling and entertaining:

Oh, dear God. I know I didn't actually see Les Miles frantically trying to call a timeout after LSU intercepted a pass near the end of regulation, only to be restrained by his assistants. Is this guy really so stupid that he didn't realize that the clock stops automatically on a change of possession? And what does this ultimately say about his ability to keep my alma mater at a championship level?
--Jeff, Columbia, Mo.

At least Michigan fans waited a few years to jump off the Carr bandwagon. Judging by my e-mails, a whole lot of LSU folks are panicking after just two games -- and I can't exactly say I blame them. As I wrote over the summer, I think Miles is a good coach, but I feared he was getting in over his head walking into Baton Rouge, and it certainly appeared that way on Monday night. Tip No. 1: That wimpy little ear piece might have worked in Stillwater, but it isn't going to do you much good in Tiger Stadium. Tip No. 2: Even if your quarterback does make the mistake of tucking and running, you should still be able to get a field goal off in fewer than 20 seconds. And Tip No. 3: Well, see Jeff's comment. -Stewart Mandel

I think I could've told you when I was five that the clock stops on a change of possession. Five years old. That's just unreal that he's that ignorant about basic football rules.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
doublee...

I know, I more-or-less agreed with you. He made his name off of beating Bob Stoops a couple of times but did little else of note at OSU. I give him credit for making OSU a competitive program but he was never able to take them to the next level.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Can u believe Alabama is beating Florida in the first half 24-3. Wow. I'm afraid the Gators will come to life in the second half.