Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
bachslunch
Grizzled Veteran

bachslunch is on a distinguished road
Default NFL Hall of Fame Senior candidates announced: Claude Humphrey, Bob Hayes

The two HoF Senior nominees were recently announced. They are Claude Humphrey and Bob Hayes.

My reaction: notably better choices than last year, and I certainly won't complain if these two get in. Humphrey has the stronger case of the two -- Hayes is more a bubble candidate -- but they're not totally undeserving like last year's choice of Marshall Goldberg or real head-scratchers like Emmitt Thomas.

Would really have liked to see some of the older deserving folks from pre-1950 get nominated (Lavie Dilweg, Verne Lewellen, Duke Slater, Al Wistert, Riley Matheson, for example), but hey, maybe next year.
bachslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

I think these are great choices. Both Hayes and Humphrey should be voted in. I'm less sympathetic to the older players. Many of them were standouts when they played, but the 50s and earlier decades are already over-represented in Canton. I agree that last year's Seniors candidates were terrible. I suspect that Goldberg is the worst Seniors candidate ever nominated, and I wonder if Thomas got some votes from people who just didn't want to vote against both Seniors.

I'm very happy, though, with this year's nominees. It's a little silly, though, that Humphrey didn't get voted in a couple years ago while he was still in the general pool.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote