Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Ego_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default Next season's "Game-Within-the-Game"

A theme is a difficult thing to ponder. It is doubly difficult to attach credibility. So why do I bother?

This year's Super Bowl did not go as I expected. I watched the game hoping to see Carolina shock the world with a game-winning drive. I hoped to see a scenario that included Carolina having no offense and New England's aggression contained. I watched "knowing" that a Patriots' victory would be cumulative and uneventful. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! The game had a training camp quality to it that resembled nothing of my previously stated theme ... or did it?

I have stated on another thread that this season's theme was, "Nothing works up the middle," AND that this "theme" was a reference to NO OFFENSE for RUN-N-SHOOT football teams. Did I get it right? If you watched the Super Bowl then you would probably say not. In the end, neither team could stop the other's offense. To qualify this as "NO OFFENSE" seemeth absurd and should be an invitation to stop such scrutiny.

If you feel compelled to call me "STUPID," then you may proceed! I will assume that New England won the game of NO OFFENSE for RUN-N-SHOOT football teams.

The Patriots' success will dictate (or re-affirm) that RUN-N-SHOOT football teams can have effective traits. This year's "game" has been left unresolved and will carry over to next season with a New England Patriots' championship asterisk.
Ego_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

Ego, you are asking for trouble here. There are some passionate Pat fans here.

I too was hoping for a Panthers victory. We didn't get it, but we got a great superbowl. I enjoyed this one until the very end. I don't think I sat down the whole game.

I was surprised that neither defense really had a spectacular game, but that is what got both teams to this game. I guess the offense just decided to give the defenses a well deserved night off.

Speaking of next season, are the Pats a shoo-in for superbowl xxxix as well? I think they will have similarly the same team next year, won't they?
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I don't see what the problem was?. A pretty good season followed by a pretty good post season and Super Bowl. It seems unless your team wins these days, you just pick apart every aspect of the team that did to justify in some way that the league is failing as a whole.

Its sad that a team can win 15 straight games, beating a lot of Super Bowl favorites on the way and still get criticized in the process. The Patriots were the best all around team in the league this year and they are rightly the Super Bowl champions.

P.S. I'm not a Pats fan and was cheering for the Panthers.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I rooted for Carolina, but I know New England is a great team and has great coaches. I thought it was a great game.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Will the Patriots be a 'shoo-in' for next year's Super Bowl? Hmmmm ....

There are alot of RUN-N-SHOOT football teams that can tender effective traits. Since the game on the field has shifted, so too will the power rankings of the various teams in the NFL. Next year will not be exactly like this one, and we can expect New England to be a target.

There seems to be no reason why the Patriots can't make a return trip.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The Pats look to have a similar, if not exactly the same defensive backfield.

Expect something to change in the front three. Hamilton, despite being the unheralded stalwart of the D line, could be released.

Semi-expect Roman Phifer to retire. Colvin will return to the linebacking corps. Expect NE to use their vast number of 1st day draft picks to augment the linebacking and D line corps.

On offense, Antowain Smith will be gone, and maybe also Faulk. A first day pick MIGHT be used on a RB, but don't be surprised if instead the Pats go whole-hog for somebody like Duce Staley, or completely ignore the RB position altogether and keep what they have.

I will not be shocked if Troy Brown is not a Patriot next season. A $5m cap number for the slot receiver is an awfully high price. Givens and Branch, while never secure, look like a decent (not great) starting two at the wide receiver positions.

If the Pats don't have a new punter next year, someone should check whether Walter has picturs of Belichick.

Dave
Old 02-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Default Was it just a spectacle?

How about a little more analysis?

Do you "buy-in" to politics in the NFL? If we look at the on the field rules maybe you can see things the way I see them.

If the "game" was NO OFFENSE for RUN-N-SHOOT football teams then maybe New England won the game with the first touchdown scored in the 2nd quarter. If the game had been won by a first-team-to-score-wins-the-game-rule then maybe it was pointless to go on playing the spectacle as it was. If the game was indeed over, then the on-the-field-rules were that Carolina was only permitted to tender a running game (not aloud to pass) and New England was permitted to run their scheme as they saw fit.

So ... the Super Bowl game was rigged?! Everyone knew that New England would try to stop the run. If Carolina was only "allowed" to run the football, why play?

Maybe that is where the training camp quality came into play. Everyone noticed that once the scoring picked up, the defenses had a hard time stopping anyone. In training camp, I imagine that many (if not all) football teams will put their defenses through a drill that consists of running a specific defensive ploy (with discipline) and allowing an offense to SHRED that defense with plays that the league knows will wilkie that defensive stance. Maybe that is what happened ... do you think the two teams then defended the initial game plan that gave New England the 7 point lead?

STUPID? Maybe!

Vinatieri's game-winning kick looked awful suspicious to me!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Exclamation take your medication

Maniac, it is becoming quickly apparent that you are delusional.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ego_Maniac
If the "game" was NO OFFENSE for RUN-N-SHOOT football teams then maybe New England won the game with the first touchdown scored in the 2nd quarter. If the game had been won by a first-team-to-score-wins-the-game-rule then maybe it was pointless to go on playing the spectacle as it was. If the game was indeed over, then the on-the-field-rules were that Carolina was only permitted to tender a running game (not aloud to pass) and New England was permitted to run their scheme as they saw fit.

Vinatieri's game-winning kick looked awful suspicious to me!
If you could produce any -- and I mean any -- evidence to support this bizarre theory, you could probably win a Pulitzer Prize.

And another thing... (with apologies to S. Morgenstern and William Goldman)

RUN-N-SHOOT. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I was hoping for a come from behind victory by Carolina.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I think black UN helicopters are flying over Ego's house.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:55 AM   #11
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

Default RUN-N-SHOOT

The phrase, RUN-N-SHOOT, can mean many, many things. My most recent reference to that phrase is one with general reference to the character of play design in the NFL. When the "game" is set each season, the best offenses and defenses usually dictate the pro-style. If the champion has a RUN-N-SHOOT quality to their charter, then the competition will usually follow suit.

Subjects like team charters are not discussed in the media. Acquiring an awareness for such qualities is purely a subjective process. When the NFL decides it is time to make FORMAL reference to such an organizational reality, then credibility will be easier to establish.

RUN-N-SHOOT is a term most noted for its offensive set. When a team lines up in a 4 wide receiver set, it is said they are "running" a RUN-N-SHOOT offense. (1st and 2nd downs only ... 3rd down is a PERMISSABLE down for "stretching the field".)

RUN-N-SHOOT is also a general reference to the quality of ineffective play. Many teams will use this "ineffectiveness" to "pitch" at the proverbial plate (to play defense). An example: imagine a team that "can't do anything with the football." A team in such a position might attempt to stretch the football field with ball-control incompletions. (We did see such activity 8-10 years ago.) To threaten the opposition in such a manner could be thought of as "playing defense" with their offensive options.

RUN-N-SHOOT qualities can also be defined by player motion. If a player is found to be harried in his motions, like running at top speed AWAY from man coverage, it can be thought of as RUN-N-SHOOT football. I'm sure there are better examples to be made ....

As far as those UN helicopters ... BRING 'EM ON!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, I'm having flashbacks of my freshman year of college, during which I suffered a "Reading Texts" class. The goal of "Reading Texts" was to see the subtle politik of Disney's perversity in running a duck around with a shirt and hat, but no pants. Or the not-so-subtle extension of Tom Cruise's ***** that was the F-14 in Top Gun. Or the subtexted hatred of women and the poor in Bill Moyer's text that read so sympathetically to the untrained mind.

I have to say that my "Reading Texts" class taught me to see the politik in places I'd been ignorant of it previously. Still, I don't think we ever had a political deconstruction of football, or any sports games at all.

The prof, was, after all, a closeted Steelers fan, and even he got sick of seeing the world as a cycle of cynicism intended to keep him from advancing beyond assistant professor in an English program not known for anything aside, perhaps, for existing...

There was a politik of sports, generally. It obviously trained on the object between most men's legs, and how only in brutality was it "cool" to use one's ***** to overwhelm another man. The inherent homophobia of sport.

The game of politics is fixed. The politics of games is about money. Not about whether a team called the "Patriots" can or should win a sport's top prize twice since 9/11.

Dave
Old 02-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #13
Ego_Maniac
All-Star Player

mOuNtAiNeEr ...

Old 02-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

Dave, in your opinion what other team could use Belichick's system and be successful? I am basing this on the team that has no egos and skilled players to run the system.
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I think Carolina, if you knock that chip from Steve Smith's shoulder, is doing very much the same thing as what the Pats have done in Belichick's four years. In fact, Fox took the Cats to the Super Bowl in his second year, after a losing record in his first year. Belichick was 5-11 in Year One, and pulled off the upset of the decade (so far) in the Super Bowl. The Panthers were pretty well-poised to do the same, till Kasay's foot hit that ball a touch high and far too far to the right.

Other than that, I think you'll see a hungrier Cowboys team, likely led by a super-hungry leader at QB, like Brunell or Gannon. The Cowboys have some incredible talent, but you haven't heard all that much from them talking-wise since The Coach rolled into D-Town.

I think the Jets have done a fair job of limiting the egos, but I'm not convinced that Herm is anything but an okay coach. He'll likely be better his second time through...

The Titans have something close, but some egos on the defensive side of the ball. Worse, they continue to have salary cap problems. The Pats are rubbing the cap right now, but are expected to clear some significant space in coming weeks.

Last I knew, the Titans well-exceeded the projected 2004 cap, and that's never a good thing when it comes to paying free agents and such.

Dave