Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road
Default The Dumbest Students Go To ?

I was just wondering, which University would be considered the bottom of the barrel as far as overall academics is concerned not only in regards to their athletes, but in general. Do you all in different areas of the country pick on any school in particular as being the dummies of your conference?

The Ivy League teams are of course at the top, but I'm curious who is at the bottom. ASU was given the presticious award as being the number 1 party school in the nation a few years ago. I taught there then and boy did that really irk the administration for some reason. I never thought ASU was a bastion of the Mensa Society, and even spent my last year working on my first degree at Oxford just to shore up my resume. But overall ASU isn't bad and are leaders in many research areas of science and other disciplines.

I always love it when I think it is Harvard or Yale that play other teams in football and when they are getting slaughtered always yell out something to the effect that "no problem, in a couple years all your students will be working for ours."
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
BayouCityBengal
Rookie Player

BayouCityBengal is on a distinguished road

Ole Miss or Auburn.
BayouCityBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate Bob
I was just wondering, which University would be considered the bottom of the barrel as far as overall academics is concerned not only in regards to their athletes, but in general. Do you all in different areas of the country pick on any school in particular as being the dummies of your conference?

The Ivy League teams are of course at the top, but I'm curious who is at the bottom. ASU was given the presticious award as being the number 1 party school in the nation a few years ago. I taught there then and boy did that really irk the administration for some reason. I never thought ASU was a bastion of the Mensa Society, and even spent my last year working on my first degree at Oxford just to shore up my resume. But overall ASU isn't bad and are leaders in many research areas of science and other disciplines.

I always love it when I think it is Harvard or Yale that play other teams in football and when they are getting slaughtered always yell out something to the effect that "no problem, in a couple years all your students will be working for ours."
Those party ratings are dumb and pointless, you have nothing to be embarrassed about.

I submit that ALL public universities with 20,000 or more students are, from a "party school" standpoint, or a dumb jock standpoint, or a crazy fraternity standpoint, pretty much all the same. On the other side of the coin, all such schools have unique academic points of pride, such as Missouri's journalism program, Oregon State's computer science program, or whatever.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
fearthehawk47
Cleveland Rocks

fearthehawk47 is on a distinguished road

First school that came to thought was The U, and Florida State. Both schools have a lot of low character student-athletes, as shown by all of their legal troubles, so I can assume that they aren't the most academic of the bunch.
fearthehawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Yeah lets go with Auburn. Cheaters
Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthehawk47
First school that came to thought was The U, and Florida State. Both schools have a lot of low character student-athletes, as shown by all of their legal troubles, so I can assume that they aren't the most academic of the bunch.
Actually the ACC is one of the more stringent conferences in terms of its academic standards for gaining acceptance. If I am not mistaken the SEC has the lowest academic standards when it comes to its athletes.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Actually the University of Miami (Fl) has a great academic program namely thier Biology dept. As much as I hate to admit it FSU has a fantastic Poly Sci program being in Tally and all.

As far as Auburn goes I let aubie handle that one.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Actually the ACC is one of the more stringent conferences in terms of its academic standards for gaining acceptance. If I am not mistaken the SEC has the lowest academic standards when it comes to its athletes.
That is correct sir! How else do you expect us southerners to get in. You guys know we cants spel wright.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Miami (FL), if I'm not mistaken, is a private university. I've heard that their academic standards are quite high.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
The Pirate Bob
All-Star Player

The Pirate Bob is on a distinguished road

Is it true that in the south the sex education curriculum includes "How to pick up girls at a family reunion."
Old 08-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Is it true that in the south the sex education curriculum includes "How to pick up girls at a family reunion."
No that info is passed down from generation to generation.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
aubie2006
Rookie Player

aubie2006 is on a distinguished road

Bama4256 doesn't have a foot to stand on when talking about cheating. Just keep rembering that Tennessee is your biggest rival. Whats wrong with a little help.
aubie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
No that info is passed down from generation to generation.
Nice.:lol:
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Miami (FL), if I'm not mistaken, is a private university. I've heard that their academic standards are quite high.
This is important. Miami is private yet generally produces the same grad numbers, test scores, and other academic stats as the other football powers in the land who are public.

Speaking for the Big Ten, Ohio State is EASILY the worst school...academically. Northwestern, Penn State, and I believe Wisconsin are the best. Michigan has low grad numbers.

Most of this is subjective depending on what you want to judge 'em on.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No, just in South Carolina and West Virginia.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote