Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 11-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road
Angry Miracle

I was watchin the movie Miracle on TV last night and that must have been the best hockey I have seen in a while. That truley is a remarkable story about how they over came the odds and were conditioned so well that they beat the Russians. When the lost and had to skate laps after the game it reminded me of baseball and how whenever we lost a game we should have won my coach makes us run sprints in the outfield. As a season ticket holder though I do miss going to the NJ devil games. The NBA and NFL have kept me occupied but i still would have liked to gone and seen my devils play.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

That movie was really good. There were a lot of people who said it would be "stupid" because they knew what the ending would be. But it's not about how it turns out, rather it's about how that team got there.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, people knew how TITANIC turned out and it's the highest grossing movie of all-time

I probably won't get around to seeing this movie for another few years. Again, Miracle on Ice is the biggest farce ever... that game was NOT for the gold medal, they had to beat Sweden or Finland or something after that avoid the silver. If the people in the States want to call that the best sporting moment ever I'm all for it because it's a hockey one but the top hockey moment of all-time was Paul Henderson's goal for Canada in 1972 to beat the Soviets.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

You need to relize though it was a tough time and we were agiabst the soviets not only in sports but also in politics. Besides that they were heavily favored to beat us as they had destroyed the NHL allstar team before they played us. They also beat us in a scrimmage before the olympics. Going into this we were not considered a top contender. After winning a couple games and turning a few heads did people relize that this team was for real. Even befor we played the USSR everyone knew it would be very hard for us to win. And what do you know a miracle happend. As for best sports moment I dont agree but it was definatly up there. ALso the media really hyped it up as well.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

wingoilerfan is on a distinguished road

We had to beat Finland to win the Gold ...

I have both the Miracle game and the US-Finland gold medal game on tape somewhere, although, to my great shame, it's probably buried downstairs somewhere ...

What was great about the Gold Medal win that year was that it would have been so easy to get so hung over from the win vs the Soviets that we could have let down in the game vs Finland ... but we didn't. As I remember, we had to come back to win that Finland game, though ...
Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 AM   #6
azac
Sports Enthusiast

azac is on a distinguished road

I remember there was a bad made- for-TV movie right after the US won the gold in 1980. Steve Guttenberg played Jim Craig. It was bad. He tried to do a Boston accent and he just was brutal. It was actually called Miracle On Ice as opposed to the more recent Miracle which was much better.

Last edited by Tarkus; 02-26-2005 at 03:21 AM.
azac is offline   Reply With Quote