Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road
Default Barnett resigns at CU

From powerhouse to a poor program. Sad
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

That is the best thing to happen to the Buffalo's since winning the Big 12 championship in 2001.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Rumor is that Houston Nutt will be out at Arkansas and will take over at Colorado. Butch Davis will take the reigns at Arkansas. Even if they lose five-star QB Mutch Mustain's commitment, it would be the best thing to happen to Arkansas football since their days in the old SWC.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

So, I wonder which 2nd division MAC/WAC/CUSA/Sun Belt school will pick up Barnett, and as a result have eight of their games picked up by ESPNU/Gamplan (see Price at UTEP, Solich at Ohio and Mumme at New Mexico State)?

I would consider Colorado to be a promotion over Arkansas, but I'm not quite sure what Nutt has done to earn that promotion.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Rumor is that Houston Nutt will be out at Arkansas and will take over at Colorado. Butch Davis will take the reigns at Arkansas. Even if they lose five-star QB Mutch Mustain's commitment, it would be the best thing to happen to Arkansas football since their days in the old SWC.
Don't be surprised if it is Dan Hawkins. Colorado's new AD hired him at Boise State and he has done a good job making them a notable I-A program.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I hope Colorado and Barnett stay mediocre for a long time.

Colorado didn't seem to mind Barnett when he was winning games. Despite the alleged raping of a player, drug and alcohol recruitment parties and other sordid activities, the new administration didn't care as long as he won games. Then when Barnett tanks for three games, the administration goes, "Whoops! Sorry. Not welcome."

Screw both of them.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

To be honest I was surprised that Barnett lasted as long as he did in Boulder. There was also news of some more improprieties with the football program reported this past week:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2252217

Some of the highlights:

• Barnett tried to influence testimony in depositions and to the grand jury;

• The team sometimes had 10 coaches on the sideline, in violation of NCAA rules allowing only nine;

• Football players were forewarned about random drug tests;

• Barnett failed to discipline players and said in another instance that everything had been done to protect a player;

• Questions about the handling of money, particularly from football camps.

It may just be a matter of the University getting tired of more allegations being hurled at the program and that it was time to cut their losses and move on.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Yesterday, I heard Mike Gottfreid on ESPN and a Colorado player (forgot his name) talk positively of Barnett's ETHICS. What I want to know is how a many who allowed the things doublee posted to occur within his football program could possibly have an ethical bone in his body. He represents everything that is wrong with college football. I was absolutely shocked that anyone would say Barnett was an ethical man, let alone a commentator.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I keep hearing a lot of folks in the media defending him as a honorable guy as well. At the very least he had to know that some of this was going on and he did nothing to prevent it from happening or to turn those responsible in to the NCAA.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 AM   #10
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Isn't sort of funny that he's sunk this low considering that his crest was turning Northwestern, an academics-first school in arguably the toughest football conference in the country, into big winners.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah really Kevin. Hopefully no one gets wise and looks over the books at Evanston when Barnett was running the show.

I kind of liked him to a certain point, which is odd for me because I hate the dictator types. But it was really about what da12ken talked about. Both the school and Barnett were whores and when that is the case, I always side with labor over management. That's what really ticks me off about Ohio State. They have nothing but undesirables in the front office and a "questionable" leader at best in a coach. Not outright a-blanks... just lazy, elitist SOBs.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

What you got against Tressel buckeye? Are you questioning his integrity (for those allegations at Ohio State and Youngstown) or his ability to coach?

The first part is definitely a little murky, but I've always considered him to be a good coach and great recruiter.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 AM   #13
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

He's got a lot anecdotal stuff (he knows people who knows people or something) that speak very dimly of Tressel. If you did a search for "Youngstown." here I'm sure you can find threads where Buckeye goes on at length about it. Don't rehash it here Buckeye because a) You're long-winded enough, and b) I trust you, so if know damning things about Tressel, I am forced to believe them and would MUCH rather live in denial, thanks. ;-)

Also, file this under "when it rains, it pours":

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2256084

Jesus wept. What the hell are they putting in the water in Boulder?

Last edited by KevinBeane; 12-12-2005 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm long-winded Kevin? Couldn't be more tactful?...LOL

da12ken...all you have to do is just relax and watch the guy in an interview and he'll just come off as "Jimmy T.-used car salesman"

Back on topic...

That guy who did the audit was priceless. I guess if you confuse enough of the numbers, they will never catch you...LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The plus behind this story is that with any luck, Barnett will be scarred for a long time, and never be able to move a program from being poor to anything better than mediocre because he will be monitored more than he has been.

One has to wonder, though, just what's going on in Colorado, and by extension, at EVERY major football program. Barnett's predecessor wasn't what you'd call a stickler for the rules. Clearly, CU's been adept at covering up "loss of institutional control" because the entire idea of "loss of institutional control" is circular. The institution in question, the majority of the time, is in complete control, and is dodging rules because it can.

May CU and Gary Barnett burn in whatever passes for college football hell.

More than likely, Barnett will be in the NFL as an assistant next year.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote