Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-06-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Arrow Gruden and Tampa Bay rumors

Interesting stuff here. I have never really been confident that Gruden will stay put. He's never seemed "comfortable" and settled in Oakland. I wonder if the Bucs can lure him away.
Quote:
Bucs mum on interest in Gruden; Turner goes south

http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi...485_59,00.html

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers remained silent on their coaching situation Tuesday, declining to answer questions about the team's interest in Oakland's Jon Gruden.

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis has emerged as a top candidate to replace Tony Dungy, especially with Norv Turner -- one of two others interviewed -- out of the running after joining the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday as offensive coordinator.

Before hiring Lewis, though, the Bucs want to see if they can get Raiders owner Al Davis to let Gruden out of the final year of his contract.

Bucs general manager Rich McKay maintained a low profile, refusing requests for interviews amid speculation that he's ready to hire Lewis if Tampa Bay can't land Gruden.

The Bucs contacted the Raiders this week about the prospect of talking to Gruden, who has said he has no plans to remain in Oakland beyond the 2002 season.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Really I would I like to see Gruden remain with Oakland. They are real close to getting to the Super Bowl. They just need a real good runner like Ricky Williams or an Edgerrin James. But I wouldn't mind seeing him go to Tampa Bay-Tampa Bay has been predicted to go to the Super Bowl the past couple of years, maybe Gruden can get them there, but they will need a good QB to accomplish that.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:00 AM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Well no chance they'll get Edge or Ricky, but Charlie Garner is fine. If they would actually give him 350+ carries, he could be a 1,500-yard back. He showed it in San Fransisco. What they need to do is trade Tyrone Wheatley. They tried thunder and lightning, it didn't work, so stick to Garner. They have a good power back in Zack Crockett, and when they need him they'll use him. But if Garner got more carries, he would be more effective, plus he has great hands out of the backfield. Detriot, Dallas, Miami, Carolina, Cleveland, and the Jets would all be attractive places to send Wheatley.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Charlie Garner is a fine back. Yes if he had 30 to 35 carries a game he would have over 1,800 yards per season. He's a bulldozer.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:32 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

According to the latest rumors in the Bay Area, Davis is going to wait until the Bucs hire their head coach, then fire Gruden! The same column then goes on to suggest that it's Dennis Green that Al Davis is really after, but of course that's impossible if the stories are accurate about Green's "buyout" from Minnesota including a clause banning him from coaching another NFL team for the two years that were remaining on his contract there.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:16 PM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Jon Gruden will stay in Oakland for the 2002 season I believe.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

I was sure Marvin Lewis, Ravens D-coordinator, would be named the next coach, but that deal has apparently fallen through.

Last edited by Marc; 02-09-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:31 AM   #8
Anthony

Actually you mean Marvin Lewis, Marc; Sherman Lewis was Minnesota's (and before that Green Bay's) offensive coordinator; however, he has already been fired from that job by Dennis Green's successor, Mike Tice.

As for what the Bucs do now - I say they gotta go for either Jim Mora or George Seifert. If they hire virtually anyone else, it's tantamount to them saying "we're rebuilding."
Old 02-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't know about that. Seifert is very old and will probably retire, and Mora just isn't an effective coach anymore. I would probably say it's either going to be Ted Cotrell, defensive coordinator from the Jets, or some offensive coordinator. No question though, Parcells would have been the best fit and had the biggest impact.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:56 AM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Actually, I've been hearing a lot of rumors about Denny Green in Tampa. That would be interesting - but I have a feeling this person is going to be temporary. The Bucs want Gruden badly and will even hire a "temporary" coach until his contract expires. I'm not sure what'd that mean for the team next year, though.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:04 AM   #11
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by The J
Well, I don't know about that. Seifert is very old and will probably retire, and Mora just isn't an effective coach anymore. I would probably say it's either going to be Ted Cotrell, defensive coordinator from the Jets, or some offensive coordinator. No question though, Parcells would have been the best fit and had the biggest impact.

Do you think Lovey Smith is out of the picture?