Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 AFC Predictions: AFC East

The NBA has hit a slow period, interesting storylines in Major League Baseball are few and far between (at least in my opinion; considering I have to sit back and watch the Kansas City Royals compile the worst record in baseball and set a new franchise-record for a consecutive-game losing streak in the same year they swept the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Dodgers), and all anybody seems to care about in the NFL is Terrell Owens.

I posted my thoughts on the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL Preseason thread, and decided to have some fun and make some AFC Predictions for the 2005 season.

AFC East Predictions:

1.) New England Patriots: 14-2
2.) New York Jets: 11-5
3.) Buffalo Bills: 4-12
4.) Miami Dolphins: 3-13

New England Patriots: 14-2

Sept. 8th – Win at home against Oakland
Sept. 18th – Win on the road against Carolina
Sept. 25th – Win on the road against Pittsburgh
Oct. 2nd – Win at home against San Diego
Oct. 9th – Lose on the road against Atlanta
Oct. 16th – Win on the road against Denver
Oct. 23rd – Bye Week
Oct. 30th – Win at home against Buffalo
Nov. 7th – Win at home against Indianapolis
Nov. 13th – Win on the road against Miami
Nov. 20th – Win at home against New Orleans
Nov. 27th – Win on the road against Kansas City
Dec. 4th – Win at home against New York Jets
Dec. 11th – Win on the road against Buffalo
Dec. 17th – Win at home against Tampa Bay
Dec. 26th – Lose on the road against New York Jets
Jan. 1st – Win at home against Miami

Obviously this is going to be a year of expectations for the New England Patriots, as they are favored to become the first team in NFL history to win three consecutive Super Bowls. But expectations might also be lower for New England this season than they have for the last four years, after the Patriots lost Offensive Coordinator Charlie Weis and Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel; plus the loss of starting Linebacker Tedy Bruschi. But Bill Belichick is a better coach now than he was before his stint in New England began, and Quarterback Tom Brady has spent five years in the New England Patriot system that has seen him win three Super Bowls in four years. New England has proven they can win the Super Bowl without Ty Law, and with the additions of Linebacker Monty Beisel, Cornerback Duane Starks and Wide Receiver David Terrell, the Patriots are still the team to beat in the AFC. Biggest game will be at home on November 7th against Indianapolis, but until Peyton Manning wins in Foxborough, New England has to be the favorite to win.

New York Jets: 11-5

Sept. 11th – Win on the road against Kansas City
Sept. 18th – Win at home against Miami
Sept. 25th – Win at home against Jacksonville
Oct. 2nd – Lose on the road against Baltimore
Oct. 9th – Win at home against Tampa Bay
Oct. 16th – Win on the road against Buffalo
Oct. 24th – Lose on the road against Atlanta
Oct. 30th – Bye Week
Nov. 6th – Lose at home against San Diego
Nov. 13th – Win on the road against Carolina
Nov. 20th – Lose on the road against Denver
Nov. 27th – Win at home against New Orleans
Dec. 4th – Lose on the road against New England
Dec. 11th – Win at home against Oakland
Dec. 18th – Win on the road against Miami
Dec. 26th – Win at home against New England
Jan. 1st – Win at home against Buffalo

The New York Jets made a great decision in the offseason by bringing in backup Quarterback Jay Fiedler, but obviously an 11-5 record and playoff hopes for the Jets rely on Chad Pennington being healthy throughout the season. It will be tough for Running Back Curtis Martin to put up the kind of numbers he did last season, but the addition of Derrick Blaylock from Kansas City will help in making sure a running game will continue to be strong in New York. The return of Laveranues Coles to the Jets will help move Justin McCareins to the number two receiver slot, and the addition of Tight End Doug Jolley will provide Pennington with a number of throwing options. Overall, the Jets have the toughest schedule of any team in the AFC East, taking on Jacksonville and San Diego at home, while having to face Kansas City, Baltimore, Atlanta, Denver and New England on the road.

Buffalo Bills: 4-12

Sept. 11th – Win at home against Houston
Sept. 18th – Lose on the road against Tampa Bay
Sept. 25th – Lose at home against Atlanta
Oct. 2nd – Lose on the road against New Orleans
Oct. 9th – Win at home against Miami
Oct. 16th – Lose at home against the New York Jets
Oct. 23rd – Lose on the road at Oakland
Oct. 30th – Lose on the road at New England
Nov. 6th – Bye Week
Nov. 13th – Win at home against Kansas City
Nov. 20th – Lose on the road at San Diego
Nov. 27th – Lose at home against Carolina
Dec. 4th – Lose on the road at Miami
Dec. 11th – Lose at home against New England
Dec. 17th – Lose at home against Denver
Dec. 24th – Win on the road against Cincinnati
Jan. 1st – Lose on the road against New York Jets

I know Buffalo came on strong towards the end of the season last year, and the Bills had the second-best defense and the top ranked special teams unit in the NFL last season, but their offense was terrible and I don’t see it getting any better with J.P. Losman at Quarterback. They have a strong running game, as Willis McGahee has silenced some critics who thought Buffalo was making a big mistake drafting the Miami Hurricane. Offensively, only six teams in the league attempted fewer passes than the Bills last season. With a tough home schedule (half of the teams they face at home were in the playoffs in 2004), and facing beatable teams on the road (Tampa Bay, Oakland and Cincinnati), I believe Buffalo is going to fall behind quick in a lot of their games this season. The Bills are going to have to count on Losman making some big plays with Eric Moulds or Lee Evans. I just don’t see it happening this year.

Miami Dolphins: 3-13

Sept. 11th – Lose at home against Denver
Sept. 18th – Lose on the road against New York Jets
Sept. 25th – Win at home against Carolina
Oct. 2nd – Bye Week
Oct. 9th – Lose on the road against Buffalo
Oct. 16th – Lose on the road against Tampa Bay
Oct. 23rd – Lose at home against Kansas City
Oct. 30th – Lose on the road against New Orleans
Nov. 6th – Lose at home against Atlanta
Nov. 13th – Lose at home against New England
Nov. 20th – Lose on the road against Cleveland
Nov. 27th – Lose on the road against Oakland
Dec. 4th – Win at home against Buffalo
Dec. 11th – Lose on the road against San Diego
Dec. 18th – Lose at home against New York Jets
Dec. 24th – Win at home against Tennessee
Jan. 1st – Lose on the road against New England

I think Nick Saban will eventually be considered one of the top coaches in the NFL if he doesn’t quickly exit back to the collegiate level, and he has the experience after previously working underneath of Bill Belichick in Cleveland. But like Belichick, things won’t happen overnight. A.J. Feely struggled last season, and will continue to struggle this season. Running Back Ronnie Brown will have a lot to prove. First, he will have to earn the starting job over Ricky Williams. Secondly, even if he does or doesn’t become the starter, he will start the season. The most carries Brown had in a season at Auburn was 175. The most consistent piece of the Miami offense over the last few years was their running game, but now they have a troubled-case in Ricky Williams, an untested Ronnie Brown, and Lamar Gordon will likely see more time in the backfield than Dolphins fans would like. A bright spot is Saban loves the passing game, and the Dolphins have an underrated receiver in Chris Chambers. But again, it’s A.J. Feely throwing the ball.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I disagree quite a bit. I think the Pats will win about 12 games. Losing both coordinators and some defensive players is going to hurt them any way you look at it. Fourteen games is practically a perfect season nowadays, and I think they are correctly favored to repeat, but not win 14. As for the Bills and Dolphins, I think both will be closer to .500 than that bad. The Dolphins can run the ball and play solid defense, and the Bills have some potential with Losman and McGahee.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I think losing two coordinators will hurt New England more than that. I agree with Toby's analysis on the Bills, though. I have the Dolphins winning more games simply because of a "new coach boost" from playing for Saban... then they'll tank.

Jets (11-5)
Patriots (10-6)
Bills (6-10)
Dolphins (5-11)
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:31 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2005 AFC Predictions: AFC East

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker AFC East Predictions:

1.) New England Patriots: 14-2
2.) New York Jets: 11-5
3.) Buffalo Bills: 4-12
4.) Miami Dolphins: 3-13

What attention to detail!

Awesome posts, Toby:tup: - and nice of you to leave the NFC for Billy D!

Last edited by Anthony; 08-24-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote