Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-01-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Call me Phil Mickelson. My struggle for first continues and I should have won.

Here is the scene. I am sitting in my room, door closed and locked. I had slept all day after school. I decide to enter an online poker tournament, for the first time in months. It is 12am. The site I am playing at I have come in 2nd and 7th the month I played, last year. I know I can win it all. It is just a matter of when. There are 400 entries and I know I am one of the best there. I made two final tables the month I played there, months back.

I play tight for the first half hour. Then, the chip leader pops up at the table. Our starting chips were 10k. I have about 20k up to this point. For the next half hour I play my game and I completely crack him. I am up to 90k in chips. I am in 3rd place!

Then, right after the former chip leader is eliminated, the new chip leader joins our table! What a great opportunity. It is about 1am at this point. After about 15 minutes, I double off of him. He has two pair. I have a flush! I now of 200k chips! I am the chip leader!

Well for the next hour, I get my chip stack up to 500k. I was playing great poker. 2nd place had 200k chips. I had 300k chips more than any one else in the tournament!

This was my day... the day I win my first tournament, at age 16. I had come in 2nd, but this was the time... I thought.

I decided that I am going to have to be up untill about 5am, to win this thing. And the way things are going, if I did go on tilt, I would still be in the torn for another hour.

So at the 2:20am break, I tell my mom I am sick. This way, I know I won't have to wake up in the morning.

So all goes well. I go back in my room, lock my door, and back to playing.

10 minutes later my mom tries to open the door. I stumble to the door, turn the computer monitor off, and I said didn't mean to look the door. That was fine. But then she says, "I was thinking, to make sure you can make it to the bathroom in time(because she thought I was sick to my stomach, like I told here,) you should leave your door open."

I said ok and went to bed, with the door open. It was torture. I couldn't go back on the computer because she would hear me on the computer.

I was laying there imagining my huge chip stack just dwindling down. The antes slowly nibbling away at my chip stack. It was torture.

I woke up in the morning and my mom read of my IMs, telling my friend(who is in college) that I was faking being sick. Woops. Maybe I should have at least turned the computer off.

Oh well, it turned out that my mom didn't care. She figured my grades are good and I haven't missed a day of school yet, so no big deal.

But I am telling you, it kills me inside knowing I should have won that tournement. It was mine. I had a 300k chip lead, over the guy in 2nd. There were only 4 tables left when I left. I had a great shot of winning.

Well I thought that was interesting and funny story to share with you guys. I got plenty of screen shots and I will get some of them up later tonight. Also, my final ranking will be posted on the site sometime today. I will tell you guys when I figure out what place I ended up coming in.

Last edited by Ellis; 12-01-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

AHHHH that sux big time
Ive been in those kind of situations before it sux balls...
But hey least you didnt get in toruble for the fake sick thing
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Thats the kind of crap that happens to all of the time, I want to get into poker, what are some good sights to play on?
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

I ended up coming in 3rd :lol: That should give you an idea of how far ahead I was. I didn't play for the last hour and a half of the torn, but I still came in third.

Here is the proof. I took these knowing that that was my day. It's a shame that I screwed it up so bad.

Look at the name of the chip leader. Look at how many chips I had and look at the average chip stack. I should have won. I played soo good too. (Most of you know my name is Rob):

Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Ah, just wait until you move out and can do what you want when you want, young grasshoppers.

I remember those "sick" days in high school. I'm proud to say I took a couple just for March Madness because games are played in the middle of the day. Remember that 16-17 is an important time to get good grades for college, or you'll be kicking yourself down the road. Don't stay up all night on schoolnights too often...

Signed,

Wise Old Man Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Ah, just wait until you move out and can do what you want when you want, young grasshoppers.

I remember those "sick" days in high school. I'm proud to say I took a couple just for March Madness because games are played in the middle of the day. Remember that 16-17 is an important time to get good grades for college, or you'll be kicking yourself down the road. Don't stay up all night on schoolnights too often...

Signed,

Wise Old Man Marc
Unless you are a good test taker. A lot of schools (including public colleges in Ohio, like Ohio State and CIncinnati for example) use a sliding scale where the better your grades are, the worse your test scores can be, and vice versa.

To wit: I slacked off and graduated with a 2.2 GPA in high school, but I still was accepted at Ohio State because of a robust 26 on the ACT (which I only took once), and that included a perfect score on language and reading comprehension (brag, brag).

So if you are a whiz at those standardized tests, I must be the devil on your shoulder and say don't sweat your grades TOO hard....just at least get C's. Hey, it's the truth. At least it was in 1994.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I predict a Buckeye rant on 'the state of education today' in T minus 24 hours.

Oh and you'll get it sooner or later, Rob... good stuff man funny story
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

what goes faster high school, college, or middle school(even though it's only 3 years)?
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I think the sense of time is directly proportional to how GOOD of a 'time' you're having.... so if you're enjoying it, it will seem to pass quickly, and vice-versa.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #10
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

so far high school has been blazin' bye bye, and damn there are some CHICKS in high school.
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:13 AM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Next time Ellis, play the tournament out, THEN pretend to be sick at 5AM or whatever....it will seem more genuine because your computer will be domonstrably off, you can purposely keep your door open (a subtle way of saying, "I have nothing to hide!") You outsmarted yourself this time.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #12
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Ellis, how much did you end up winning?
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #13
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally posted by edgar109
Ellis, how much did you end up winning?
Nothing.

By doing well in the torns, you get a ranking on the web site and something like the top 30 get into a torn for real money.

I havn't played enough torns to qualify.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

what sight is this?
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote