Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Bowl Discussion Thread...

Not sure if this is legal or not but I thought I'd fire up a thread on the bowls to go thru the season.

Poinsettia Bowl...

TCU 37 Northern Illinois 7

Ugly way to start the season. Anyone watch this one? The Huskies were severely overmatched. They had a total of FIVE first downs while Wolfe had only 28 yards on 20 carries. I believe the spread for this game was over 10 points so hopefully things get better. No one was at this game either. Sad.

Next up: Oregon and BYU in the Vegas bowl on Thursday. I think this one will be a much better affair for us to watch. Expectin' a ton of points in this contest.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

Over/Under is 62, so the linesmakers are expecting a shootout as well. Anything will be better than that game last night. NIU was pathetic
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Not that he was considered a top prospect to begin with but Garrett Wolfe's draft stock just took a serious beating last night.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Not that he was considered a top prospect to begin with but Garrett Wolfe's draft stock just took a serious beating last night.
Oh it took a hit long before last night. He had a 4-game stretch late in the year where he managed something like 200 yards...TOTAL. He got a ton of hype after running all over Ohio State ( which everyone does early in the season who runs the spread offense) and going crazy on the lesser teams in the MAC.

NIU's spread offense helped him out in his quest for 2,000 yards but it's evident he won't be a star in the NFL.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Ed Johnson, one of PSU's starting DT's, is suspended for the Outback Bowl. It has been reported as a violation of a team rule but rumor has it he failed a drug test.

Meh. Trying to make a negative a positive, Johnson was a senior and didn't have a strong final half of the season. It will likely give Chris Baker or Phil Taylor, two of the top candidates to start next season, an early shot to prove their worth. Tennessee's running game is pretty bad so I'm not especially worried about them running wild.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Bad News West Virginia fans Reggie Ball has been ruled academically ineligible for the Gator Bowl:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6291808

Now the Jackets may actually have a shot at winning if Bennett can actually get the ball within five feet of Calvin Johnson on a regular basis. :lol:

How do you lose your eligibility with one semester to go? Reggie Ball better get that degree as God knows he has no chance at making a living playing football after college.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Reggie Ball graduating, um, flunking out, is the best thing that has happened to GT football since a man named John Heisman showed up in Atlanta. It's just unfortunate for them that Johnson will likely be leaving with him.

Has there ever been a worse four year starter at QB than Reggie Ball?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I mentioned that in a previous thread, and, no I cannot think of one. It kind of makes one wonder how bad the backups have been if Ball is beating them out for the starting job. Typically speaking most 4 year starters end up being top draft prospects.

Calvin Johnson and his family continually claim that he is not leaving until he graduates, but I don't see how can stay another year when most draft boards have him a lock to be a top 5 pick.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Clemson likely loses Duane Coleman, its fourth leading tackler, for its bowl game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=2704339
Old 12-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Bad News West Virginia fans Reggie Ball has been ruled academically ineligible for the Gator Bowl:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6291808

Now the Jackets may actually have a shot at winning if Bennett can actually get the ball within five feet of Calvin Johnson on a regular basis. :lol:

How do you lose your eligibility with one semester to go? Reggie Ball better get that degree as God knows he has no chance at making a living playing football after college.
Yep.

And how does a qb actually get worse over a 4-year period in college?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Arkansas is starting Dick over Mustain for Arkansas against Wisconsin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=2704157

Too bad they'll need Peyton Manning to beat us.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I read a great line on another site about Reggie Ball:

Quote:
I can’t verify it as fact, but I heard Reggie Ball overthrew an open book test.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

:lol:

Don't tell anyone doublee but I actually watched some/most of that ACC Championship Game.

It looked to me that GT's offense is primarily Hail Mary after Hail Mary and then you hope for the best.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, their passing offense anyway. It just appears that it is Hail Mary after Hail Mary because Ball keeps overthrowing his guys by 10 yards. :lol:

But, to be fair, for a team that's passing game is so unreliable they actually do run the ball fairly well.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

That's what it looked like to me...overthrow after overthrow.

In other overrated QB news, Drew Weatherford will start for FSU when they take on UCLA in the Emerald Bowl. I bet the Bruins knock his ass out in the 1st quarter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=2705359