Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-17-2004, 03:32 AM   #1
ProInfoSports
Grizzled Veteran

ProInfoSports is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 Ncaa Football Power Poll

Here are the the PRO INFO SPORTS rankings of all 119 NCAA Football Division 1-A teams. This is not necessarily how they will finish, but how we rate them to begin the 2004 season.

1 Oklahoma

2 Southern Cal

3 Florida St

4 Georgia

5 Texas

6 Miami, FL

7 Kansas St

8 Michigan

9 North Carolina St

10 Louisiana St

11 Auburn

12 Texas Tech

13 Maryland

14 Miami, OH

15 Wisconsin

16 Virginia

17 Bowl Green

18 California

19 Wake Forest

20 West Virginia

21 Louisville

22 Iowa

23 Minnesota

24 Boise St

25 Utah

26 Georgia Tech

27 Oklahoma St

28 Fresno St

29 Oregon St

30 Oregon

31 Alabama

32 Notre Dame

33 UCLA

34 Florida

35 Clemson

36 Virginia Tech

37 Nebraska

38 Boston College

39 Tennessee

40 Ohio St

41 Memphis

42 North Texas

43 Arizona St

44 Texas Christian

45 South Carolina

46 Purdue

47 Penn St

48 Missouri

49 Marshall

50 Cincinnati

51 Toledo

52 Southern Miss

53 Mississippi

54 Colorado

55 Texas A&M

56 Pittsburgh

57 Washington St

58 Northern Illinois

59 Connecticut

60 Michigan St

61 Brigham Young

62 Colorado St

63 Hawaii

64 South Florida

65 Illinois

66 San Diego St

67 Northwestern

68 Vanderbilt

69 Washington

70 Arkansas

71 UNLV

72 Alabama-Birmingham

73 Kentucky

74 North Carolina

75 Stanford

76 Central Florida

77 Iowa St

78 Indiana

79 Syracuse

80 Tulane

81 Troy St

82 New Mexico

83 Louisiana Tech

84 Air Force

85 Houston

86 Navy

87 Arizona

88 Kansas

89 Middle Tenn St

90 Rutgers

91 Temple

92 Akron

93 Tulsa

94 Rice

95 Nevada

96 Western Michigan

97 Kent St

98 Mississippi St

99 Ohio

100 Wyoming

101 Duke

102 New Mexico St

103 Central Michigan

104 Utah St

105 Ball St

106 East Carolina

107 Idaho

108 Army

109 Louisiana Laf

110 Buffalo

111 Louisiana Mon

112 Florida Int.

113 Eastern Michigan

114 Texas El Paso

115 Baylor

116 Arkansas St

117 San Jose St

118 Florida Atlantic

119 Southern Methodist

PRO INFO SPORTS
ProInfoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Wow. Based on what?

You guys have WVU ranked lower than anyone I've seen to date...

Dave
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

West Virginia? How about ranking NC State number nine? Neither the AP or ESPN poll has them in the top 25 let alone the top 10. I think State can be a top 25 team if Jay Davis or Marcus Stone can step in and be a productive QB.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

My first scan of these types of things is always for where WVU lands.

Since you've brought up NCSU, though, doublee, I'll suggest that Top 25 for the Wolfpack will be a HUGE stretch.
That team's not as talented as a whole as one Philip Rivers was, and it will be violently apparent as the Wolfpack get crushed week-in and week-out.

In fact, I'd say if you're in the ACC, and you're not Florida State or Miami, you're probably overrated. One exception to this: Maryland, who is underrated on an annual basis.

Dave
Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

They are a tough team to read at this stage. Yes, Rivers was phenomenal, but the team did not have as much depth at RB than it will this year. The Pack got bit in the butt last year when T. A. went down and they had nobody else to fill in for him. That will not happen this year. They have two studs in back of McClendon this year who are said to be pushing him for playing time in practice. They have a ton of depth at wideout this year as well. Their defense also killed them last year giving up just under 30 a game they were very young and raw up front and that killed them. With the depth at RB and an unproven QB I think the Pack may try to establish the run a little more this year. I don't think they are a top ten team, but if the defense comes around and they get solid QB play top 25 is not an unrealistic goal. One thing in their favor is that the big games are all in Raleigh this year they don't have to travel to Columbus, Miami, or Tallahassee.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #6
ProInfoSports
Grizzled Veteran

West Virginia is a quality, Top 20 team; however, they play in a very weak conference now that Miami, FL and Virginia Tech have defected to the ACC. They may well finish higher than #20, but based upon prior results, starters lost, starters returning relative to all other teams, we have them as the 20th best team right now.

As for North Carolina State, we believe they will surprise many people this year. The defense will be very strong, and they will have a good enough QB. The key will be a healthy McClendon. With a strong running game and a ferocious, blitzing defense they won't have to have a Rivers at QB. No, they won't go undefeated, but they will not be getting crushed every week. Don't be surprised when they beat Ohio State early in the season.

It happens every year after a team loses a great QB. The public assumes that he can't be replaced and they fade the team, especially early in the season. Many more times than not they are wrong. For example, Carson Palmer won the Heisman Trophy at USC 2 years ago as he led the Trojans to their finish in many years. He was the top pick of the Cincinnati Bengals and everyone (almost) assumed that the Trojans would be down last year. After all, who was going to replace Palmer? Matt Leinart? Who's that? The Trojans started the year at Auburn, where the Tigers had been the talk of many preseason magazines. All USC did was stuff the Tigers in their own back yard and win in a shutout. All Leinart did was have even better numbers last year than Palmer did when he won the statue. This is not an isolated example. Check the first couple of weeks of college results from last year. See how teams that had lost a QB to graduation did against teams with returning QBs. If you had bet on the teams with new, unproven QBs you would have made a very tidy profit. Why? The public likes to bet on "sure" things. They are afraid of the unknown. This is reflected in the line, so there is little or no line value on the team with the returning QB, especially if they are the favorite.

PRO INFO SPORTS
Old 08-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I admire Pro Info for being willing to go out on a limb (not only with NCSU, but he's got Ohio State 40th.) Last year I went out on a limb on a bunch of my preseason picks, some of which worked out (Northwestern .500 in the Big Ten, Arkansas straight up over Texas), some of which didn't (Arizona State winning the PAC 10, Pitt winning the Big East).

If Pro Info Sports sticks his head in here again, I 'd like to ask him these 3 questions:

What, in particular, leads you to believe that OSU will not merely slip from last year, but enter into a free fall that will land them well out of the top 25 and in the middle of the Big Ten? Isn't Tressel alone better than that? He's already proven he can recruit.

Are these rankings based on analysis or formula?

If analysis, how in-depth is the analysis? Can you quantify why Buffalo is a better team than Arkansas State in your eyes? (I don't expect you to, but if you do I will be very impressed )

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
ProInfoSports
Grizzled Veteran

Kevin,

We're happy to address your questions.

1. As stated, the POWER POLL is ranking of how we rate the teams to start the season, not necessarily finish. Ohio State lost a tremendous amount of talent in the draft, and it will take some time to recover. Tressel is without a doubt a tremendous coach. The Buckeyes should improve during the course of the season, perhaps dramatically, but as of right now this is where we have them ranked.

2. The rankings are mostly objective. We mathematically analyze each team and results of the past several years, giving the greatest weight to the most recent season. We then adjust that according to the value of the players lost and returning. We then run the numbers and see what they tell us. Of course, the value we place on players lost and returning is somewhat subjective, but we don't subjectively move teams up or down based on feelings or hunches. Teams that are solid year in and year out, but have lost many quality starters to graduation, figure to be down in the rankings to start the season, but we also figure those teams will get better much quicker than a team that is usually mediocre but has almost every starter returning. Look at this way - the POWER POLL has OSU and Memphis nearly equal to start the season. If they were to play on a neutral field in the first game, it would be close according to the POWER POLL numbers; however, OSU should improve a great deal during the course of the season as their new, young starters mature. Memphis on the other hand has nearly every starter back. They don't figure to improve dramatically during the year. If OSU and Memphis played in the latter part of the season on a neutral field, no doubt OSU would be a heavy favorite according to a POWER POLL that was based upon what each team's projected rating is at the end of the season, rather than at the beginning.

3. As far as Buffalo being better than Arkansas State, that's how our system ranks them to start the season. Again, this is based on how they have performed the last several seasons, strength of schedule, and what they have lost/returning as far as players are concerned. Having said that, being ranked #110 is not necessarily a lot better than being ranked #116. It would appear that while Buffalo may not be any better than they have been the past several seasons, Arkansas State's play will be dropping off. They could easily be outscored by a combined 100+ points in their first 2 games. Buffalo has a few more returning starters than the Indians. Could Arkansas State be the better team by the end of the season? Sure. Maybe they will be the 110th best team and Buffalo 116th at that point.

PRO INFO SPORTS
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

On NC St.

I've seen alot of publications picking them to win over Ohio State this year, as does Pro Info Sports. I think the likelyhood of that is about the same as me winning the lottery, but to each his own. I am going to enjoy the OSU victory though, disproving the " experts" who believe going to Raleigh and winning is some how the equivalent of asking one to shoot a clutch free throw in old Boston Garden with ghosts swirling around the rafters, however meaningless Non-conference games are to me.

On Maryland...

Underated Dave? I don't know about that. Maybe it's just my high standards, but weren't they ranked very high in last year's early polls before losing to N. Ill ? They seem to disappoint me, even by ACC standards, which are low.

I understand the way Pro Info Sports said how they got their rankings, but find it too " computerized" and cold. For instance, Ohio State did lose alot of talent on their lines, but when was the last time OSU's lines weren't one of the best in the nation, no matter who they had returning or lost? It's the system. I know, he throws out " hunches", but shouldn't that be apart of what is already an " educated guess" at best? How many times out of ten would say an Ohio State, Oklahoma, or Miami have freshman in any given year be better then some God awful team who had all 22 starters back? Memphis may have alot of guys back, but if they struggle to move a 3 year old girl off the line of scrimmage, what good are they? ( picking on Memphis here, but I do understand they are suppossed to be " up" from what I've read)

On USC and Leinart filling Palmer's shoes...

I think Pro Info has mislead us here. Sure, they lost Palmer, but they had mostly everyone else back from their Orange Bowl drubbing of Iowa from the previous year. It is THIS year when USC must replace talent ( receivers are gone, of course, Mike Williams is the exception) in alot of areas. Last year was their peak, according to returning guys, hence their better win-loss record, but in all reality, it wasn't by much. And while USC is a pass happy team, more valuable are the other guys combined then a qb, even on their squad, and especially on a run and bleed sqaud like an Ohio State. And what did Auburn end up doing last year anyway, beside blow game after game? Again, USC beat a team that was living off of hype. Hey, still give credit to SC though, they beat a " solid" SEC team in their house, but the Tigers weren't the second coming of the 1980s 49ers, like all the "experts" claimed last August.

What is this strenght of schedule nonsense too? Does that mean if you rack up alot of W's against cupcakes, you get more credit or less? Personally, I find nothing wrong with leaving your back yard to take on a solid program in hostile territory, playing hard, and losing. Atleast you tried. Isn't winning 1 out of 3 more impressive when you play tough against the best over getting 3 w's against lesser teams?

And one last thing...

Neutral field? Ahhhgggg ! This is college football, the campus is part of the identity of the game. Again, it's part of the " cold" systematic feel of these rankings. Who the hell plays on a neutral field? No one. Yeah, USC and VT are, and I hate these kickoff classic things or whatever they are. Don't take the " college" out of " college football". If you do that, all is lost.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM   #10
ProInfoSports
Grizzled Veteran

Buckeye,

A true fan indeed. Nothing wrong with rooting for your team, but to say a good team like NC State basically has no chance at home against OSU is a going a bit far. The Buckeyes barely escaped at home against the Pack last year. Are you suggesting that OSU is tremendously better than last year's team and NC State is way down? If so, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. That's what makes preseason bantering fun.

As for Memphis, they are probably better than the Cincinnati team that gave OSU a scare in their national title run 2 years ago. Yes, on one of those "neutral" fields.

No, I don't think we mislead anyone regarding USC. They did not have "almost everyone else back". They had 6 returning starters on both sides of the ball, which is below average, and lost their Heisman Trophy winner and had no QB coming in that had proven himself at this level. If you want a team that has "nearly everyone else back" you need look no further than NC State. They have 8 returning starters on offense and 9 on defense. There's plenty of talent to help ease the loss of Rivers. Again, don't take our word for it. Just take a look at how teams without returning starting QBs did last year in openers against teams with returning QBs.

If you want another classic example, go back to Peyton Manning's days at Tennessee. Every year, the Vols were supposed to contend for a national championship during Peyton's tenure, but every year they came up short. He graduates, gets drafted by the Colts, and Tennessee is left with some guy named Tee Martin. All Martin did was what Manning could never do. Led his team to the national title. Does that mean Martin is a better QB than Mannning? Obviously not, but it shows what can happen when a lot of pressure is on one team or one player, and what can happen when the pressure is off.

Strength of schedule is nonsense? Is beating Oklahoma by 10 the same thing as beating Kansas by 10? Obviously not, so we use a grading system that puts every outcome in perspective. Of course if someone played at a top-ranked team and lost by just a few points that would likely improve their power rating, not hurt it. Conversely, if a high-rated team played at Eastern Michigan and won by a FG that would likely hurt their rating, so it's not just a matter of getting good grades for wins and poor grades for losses. Strength of opponent is much more telling.

PRO INFO SPORTS
Old 08-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

USC/VT is neutral field in theory, but that game is being played in DC so it should be more or less a home game for Va-Tech.

I don't think Maryland was ranked that high going into last year I think they were somewhere in the 15-20 range at best. Yes, they did lose to N. Illinois, but they went 10-2 and turned out to be a pretty solid team last year and it was only by seven on the road.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think it is going to far Pro. Here's why:

I would have it NO OTHER way for it to be a blood, sweat,and tears close game. If it is, OSU wins. They've done it over, and over, and over, and over again. It's the way they do it. I'm not expecting you or anyone else to give them credit. No one does, I've excepted that. They've lost one close game ( Wisc) in the last two years. Tres likes to keep things close to the vest, and make his opponent make the mistake. Game will proably be close, but I'll go with the battle tested, superior program overall, who wins road games and close games in a real conference over an idiot coached team playing in a pansy conference. Ohio State has played in more bigger games the last two years then NC St. has in their entire history.

Late last year, when OSU's offense opened up a bit more ( see K St. or Mich St. ), I felt very uncomfortable despite the wins by OSU. Balls were in the air !!!! Gasp !!!!! instead of in a RB's gut with blood coming from his lungs. Funny numbers in double digits were on the scoreboard. Offenses were spread a little further. Hog mollies were overlooked. Life between the tackles wasn't as important. It was all very unsettling. As Woody used to say " only 3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad ( INT, INC )". I hope everyone gives OSU a scare, that way, I know things are going according to plan.

Wow, I didn't know USC only had 12 coming back last year, but I think you would agree with me that everyone claims this year is the year of trying to replace the most talent, hands down. Again, no receivers besides Williams.

On SOS, that is what I meant. I hoped you took into consideration who someone played. I hope you look more favorable on teams who lose but line up a big boy instead of the programs that just line up cupcakes.

I'll take your word on the qb thing too, with Peyton Manning and others. I'd like to see overall returning starters, their schedules, and especially where they played their main rivals at, home and away, before I made a true judgement call on it. All I'm saying is that I believe alot more of a team's success depends on overall returners, schedule, and where they play their main rival at then if the pressure is off of a top prize QB or not who isn't there anymore.

Speaking of this qb stuff then Pro, what do you predict will happen in Norman, where White will be leading the Sooners, with a Heisman, going for two, and having the pressure of leaving the school without a national title?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 AM   #13
ProInfoSports
Grizzled Veteran

Points well taken and we have not been one to sell the Buckeyes short the past couple of years. We used them as plays several times. We'll just again state that when it takes a team 3 OTs at home to put an opponent away, it stands to reason that they will have a very tough time on the road against that opponent. No, the ACC has not been the strongest of conferences in years past, but FSU is no "patsy" and NC State has beaten or played them tough most every year recently.

As a big Buckeye fan you surely know that they lost 14 NFL draft picks. Fourteen! That's by far the most ever a school has surrendered, even in days when there were many more rounds. That means that this is no typical "re-loading" year for OSU. Anybody that lost that many great players could be expected to struggle, even a team that's usually a national power.

As for USC, they were not seen as a true national title contender last year, but are the preseason #1 in most people's polls this year, so evidently those people aren't as concerned about replacing the talent this year as last.

Yes, we agree on strength of schedule. We give every team a numerical home and road power rating relative to every one else. A close road loss against a high-rated opponent will improve a team's power rating, while a narrow win over a "cupcake" would hurt the rating.

We also agree on returning QBs which is our entire point. Most people are dismissing NC State's chances this year because of the loss of Rivers, and seemingly ignoring the fact that they have most everyone else back. Such teams are very dangerous.

Funny thing in Norman. Yes, White is a returning Heisman Trophy winner, but the whispers in Norman are that he isn't even the best QB on the team. Imagine that. This goes to show the level of talent at OK. They are scarey good. Head and shoulders above anyone else, including USC in talent. Nebraska's DC who had a heck of a defense in Lincoln last year is now at OK after getting let go by Callahan. He says the best players he had on defense in Lincoln would have a hard time cracking second or 3rd string at OK. They are absolutely loaded. They also have the one of the best, if not the best, coach in the country. And now they have a massive chip on their shoulder. Don't think that the way they ended last year has sat well with Stoops and his troops. Don't think that being ranked #2 to start the season will sit well with them either. There are 2 reasons right there why this team will absolutely destroy opponents this year right from the beginning. They are on a mission. We have never seen such a descrepancy between the team we have ranked #1 and the other top teams. Of course, anything is possible, but we'll be very surprised if they lose a game this year.

Don't know if White will win the Heisman because he probably has the deck stacked against him for a couple of reasons. First, many Heisman voters wanted their votes back after watching how he and the Sooners did in their last 2 games. Secondly, there is probably a natural bias against giving the Heisman to somebody twice, unless they are a very, very special player. At the end of the year voters may ask themselves "ok, White did have the best year of any player, but is he truly deserving to be a 2-time winner? Do we want to put him in the class with Archie Griffin, the only other player to do it?" White will have to have a phenomenal season to overcome that; however, due to the year we are expecting from OK, he just may do that. Stoops is not going to let up on anyone this year, not that he has in the past much, but White could put up some outrageous numbers that can't be ignored. Benson at Texas and Sproles at KSU are top contenders but they both have to play OK, and if they both get beat by OK, voters couldn't very well vote for either of them over White.

PRO INFO SPORTS
Old 08-19-2004, 01:54 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Wow. Now THIS is a great thread.

Buckeye, you made me laugh out loud when you elaborated on the Woody Hayes quote ("int, inc"), in case, you know, us diehard football fans can't figure out the two things that can go wrong when you throw the ball. Thanks for not making me ask. ;-)

Pro Info, for starters, I'm glad you have started to stick around for the conversations, rather than just post your picks and leave like you seemed to do last year. And you've been the subject of a lot of snickers here for giving us lengthy dissertations on games like Idaho/Boise State or NFL preseason games, but I'm GLAD you do it and hope you continue to, even though I don't gamble too often. Seems like a lot of sports fans lose sight of the fact that all football games (if you're a real football fan) are facinating both to watch and to talk about, whether its a Super Bowl, preseason game, or contest between the bottom-dwellers of the Sun Belt.

As you point out, a Tee Martin can take a team a place a more heralded, talented player couldn't...but without looking at any numbers, I would say the more predictable scenario happens just as often. I'm thinking of how Tulane collapsed after Shaun King left, but I don't know who else left that year. I don't think that Jay Davis or (I forget his first name) Stone were as touted as either Tee Martin or Matt Leinart, but I could be wrong.

Secondly (you're up against another Ohio State homer here), just as San Diego State wasn't truly almost on par with Ohio State last year, neither was North Carolina State when you compare the rest of last year's schedules and results for NCSU and OSU. So there's more than just a tiny, triple OT gap for NCSU to close before they are equal to, or better than, Ohio State. Which isn't to say they can't or haven't, but I don't put as much stock in last year's game as a gauge for this year's.

If you get into debates with Buckeye over the course of the season (and it's looking like you will), know that he has a reputation for taking off-the-wall, "are you crazy?" stances very sincerely and defending them very intelligently. He's like that one friend everyone had in college who says things like, "You know what's the greatest invention in the history of man? The lawn flamingo. Now, hear me out..."

Buckeye, I'm sure you appreciate that appraisal. That said, I hope you are not suggesting that Jim Tressel intentionally keeps the games artificially close. That's, well, crazy. As good as OSU is in tight games, they've proven to be pretty decent in closing out those games where they jump out to a 48-0 lead, too. And while I'm always supremely confident that OSU can pull out the tough games, I breathe a little easier when they win big. If you don't, that's, well....

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 08-19-2004 at 01:59 AM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I can understand your point on not counting NC St. out just because they lost their star qb, but kept alot of guys. I'm sure alot of people are doing that. I don't though. I am just counting them out because Ohio State is the better team, that's all...LOL. However, it strikes me as odd the number of publications I've seen who are picking NC St. to win that game, when it should be on THEIR shoulders to come up big. Wasn't it a complete and utter failure in Columbus last year? Did this team not break down in every possible facet to lose that game? Like I said, Ohio State waits for ONE mistake. This team laid out a buffet of them and said " pick one". The pressure is on them, not Ohio State. Pressure on a team who failed last year and has no history of overcoming adversity spells a loss to me. Home field advantage is NOTHING in this game. Ohio State plays in much tougher houses in Big Ten play, with deep hatred directed at them from every seat in the house. It's not completely my OSU bias, I'd pick any seasoned Big Ten program to go down and beat a mid level ACC school. Especially ones who like defense to lead the way ( which would make me hesitant on a team like Purdue, more risk, LESS reward I say on offensive play calling )

On OSU's losses...

Yeah, they lost a lot of guys, but again, I'm not worried. The lines are their biggest weakness. I'll say that again, their lines. The lines always gel, that's just their way. I have full confidence in the replacements ( especially Kudla for Smith). The linebacking corps will be the best in the nation, and that is BECAUSE LAST YEAR'S GUYS ARE GONE. No offense to Pagac and Reynolds, but Schlegel, Carpenter, and Hawk are VASTLY superior to them. Mike D'Andrea would start on just about any other team in the nation and make that conference's first team, but he's going to have to share time on this squad.

Enough of that, before Dave tells me I've hijacked another post though...LOL.

The reason I inquire about Oklahoma is because they are in the situation you've been talking about. Great qb, pressure is on, and yet they are #1 in your rankings. Going by what you've been talking about Pro, I would imagine that they will be better next year when White is gone, if history repeats itself.