Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Pierce fined for questionable signal...

Pierce, Stevenson fined $25,000 each for 'menacing gestures'

ATLANTA -- Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce and Washington Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson were fined $25,000 each by the NBA on Monday for making "menacing gestures" in playoff games, another attempt by the league to crack down on bad behavior.

Pierce was sanctioned for flashing a hand gesture toward Atlanta's Al Horford and attempting to stare him down in the fourth quarter of the Celtics' 102-93 loss to the Hawks on Saturday. Pierce had to be pulled back to the Boston bench by his teammates.

"The league is sending a message that we have the best athletes in the world: Play the game," NBA commissioner David Stern said during a stop in Atlanta. "If you get baited, don't take the bait."

After Horford hit a clinching basket with 22 seconds left in Atlanta's Game 3 victory, the rookie began jawing with Pierce before heading for the Hawks bench. Pierce followed Horford as far as midcourt, glaring in his direction before holding up his right hand, forming an "O" with his thumb and index finger and extending the other three fingers.

Pierce's gesture resembled a gang sign, though Boston general manager Danny Ainge denied that it had anything to with such an illicit activity. He said the player holds up three fingers to represent "blood, sweat and tears."

"Watch what Paul does when he's introduced. He's done it for every game," Ainge said. "That's not anything related to" gangs.

Horford said he understood why the league came down so hard on Pierce.

"I knew he was upset after the play," the Hawks forward said. "I honestly didn't know what it meant. But the league wants to keep its image."

"It's silly," Rivers said. "Unfortunately, everybody's very sensitive about signs. I didn't know that. I know now. I'll be careful when I'm giving signals to the players, I'll tell you that."

The image-conscious Stern said the league is serious about its crackdown.

"We've got extraordinarily gifted athletes playing a special game," he said. "We're not going to let it degenerate into something else. Period."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=3372718

Gang sign or not?

Overreaction?

Anything else to add?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

He's from Inglewood, Cali which is Blood territory soooooooooo......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG

Last edited by themush; 04-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

All I know is Stevenson needs to shut his yap. Soulja Boy and the loudmouth Wiz are getting crushed by LeBron. Bad idea to piss off #23...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Blood, sweat, & tears, huh?

Or how about a gang symbol like they say:

Bounty Hunters

Hmmmm.....

Last edited by Tarkus; 04-29-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Blood, sweat, & tears, huh?

Or how about a gang symbol like they say:

Bounty Hunters

Hmmmm.....
Exactly.

What if someone threw up a "c" after he did that? "B' for blood, sweat, and tears. And the "c" for Celtics. Right???
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
He's from Inglewood, Cali which is Blood territory soooooooooo......

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG
A homeless guy tried selling me a sandwich in Inglewood before.

That's all I got here.

Oh yeah, Byron Scott is from Inglewood and snuck into Laker games as a kid then later played there.

That's damn cool.

:thumbsup2:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Here's more interesting info...

Rev: Paul Pierce should pay for foul play
By Dave Wedge

A street preacher on the front lines of the Hub’s bloody street wars is demanding Boston Celtic star Paul Pierce [stats] pony up 50 grand for at-risk teens as penance for flashing a reputed gang sign during a televised playoff game.

“He ought to give $50,000 to some inner-city organization that’s doing something for gangs, rather than (his $25,000 fine) just going to the league,” said Rev. Shaun Harrison of Youth in Crisis Ministries.

Pierce was fined $25,000 for making a “menacing gesture” after a dust-up with Atlanta Hawks forward Al Horford during the teams’ playoff game Saturday. Pierce and the Celtics [team stats] have staunchly denied the three-fingered salute to Horford was gang-related, claiming instead that it innocently stands for “blood, sweat and tears.” The team has said Pierce will appeal the penalty.

“It’s an unfortunate thing that did occur,” said Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss. “Hopefully, we can all move forward.”

The hand signal is consistent with a gang sign used by the Piru Blood set based in Pierce’s hometown of Inglewood, Calif. It’s also consistent with a “three’s up” or “B” hand symbol used by Boston teens to represent the Hub.

Harrison dismissed the team’s explanation and said the signal was “clearly meant to intimidate” Horford - an act that sends a dangerous message to Boston youths.

“Young people are going to take it as, ‘If Paul Pierce can throw up a gang sign, then I can too,’ ” said Harrison. “That’s how you deal with conflict - throw up a gang sign and challenge him. It makes our work even harder now.”

Pierce has never been linked to gang activity, although questions arose after he was stabbed 11 times in a nightclub in 2000 by associates of Boston rap crew Made Men.

However, Nation of Islam Minister Don Muhammad said the hand signal incident takes on a particularly nasty air since there were rumblings that Pierce’s stabbing may have been gang-related.

“We don’t need those kind of things coming from professional athletes. A lot of the youngsters are influenced by them,” said Muhammad, the respected Roxbury minister who was called on by the Celtics and the NBA to help quell violence after Pierce’s stabbing.

Link