Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #31
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

SoCal sports is on a distinguished road

Thats where we differ I guess. In my opinion thats one of the problems with this world, nobody cares about what kind of people we are just can you shoot a basketball or catch a pass instead of trying to be a decent person. That is a bad example that a lot of people set for their kids. Just my opinion though. Like the showtime reference. I dont doubt Kobe could have a big year, but I would rather have Wade.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #32
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
If you recall Shawn, I still consider myself a Laker fan. I said that since I've been a fan longer than that no personality, selfish, no respect for elders, defensive gambling ego maniac has been alive, I was sticking it out. I can wait til he breaks a leg or someone locks him in a storage room deep inside the Staples Center and throws away the key (hmmmm ?)

I will say that WHEN Buss gives the go ahead and retires his number, then that will present a problem. His jersey has NO RIGHT to be beside #32. Note to self: call L.A. County Sheriff's Department and see how much the fine is if you break in the Staples Center and remove one framed jersey and wipe your a** with it.
oh.my.god. I thought we had settled that.
We'll just let it be obvious to EVERYONE ELSE that you can't be a CURRENT fan of the Lakers and hate Kobe Bryant that much.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #33
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

back to the topic of this thread- does anyone else agree with me that the Heat are looking like the team to beat this year so far? (over San Antonio)
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #34
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
oh.my.god. I thought we had settled that.
We'll just let it be obvious to EVERYONE ELSE that you can't be a CURRENT fan of the Lakers and hate Kobe Bryant that much.

Are you serious? Their have been teammates who hate eachother and still love their team. I dont remember hearing a statement that wrong before. I dont think you can be a true fan of basketball if you just blindly go for a team and dont care about who is on it. If you think a guy is a distraction to your team and you want him gone, I would say that is caring about your team more than the individual no matter if their opinion is agreed with or not, they just want whats best for their team. I'm a Laker fan first and a fan of some of the players after that.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #35
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

ok perhaps not quite EVERYONE else.
Yes, I am serious, SoCal sports.. Kobe IS the Lakers, not just another player on the roster.
I see where you're coming from, but if you hate watching Kobe, you're going to hate watching the Lakers, and how can you be a fan of something you hate to watch? That's where I'm coming from..
Old 10-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #36
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
back to the topic of this thread- does anyone else agree with me that the Heat are looking like the team to beat this year so far? (over San Antonio)
no, the team to beat is the defending champ at least until we into the season a bit. the Heat made a lot moves which you could say they did or did not need. since we only know how they look on paper but we haven't seen the new unit play yet so you can't say the Heat are the team to beat for the title. however, they would be my pick in the East.

however, the Spurs don't have to do much to stay Champions this season. they only thing they needed was another solid player on the bench and they have more then filled that need w/ Michael Finley.

Horry, Barry, and Finley coming off your bench gives you amazing depth. the three guys combined can play all five postions on the floor.

Last edited by blackdogsong; 10-07-2005 at 03:39 PM.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #37
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I agree that both SA and MIA made some very aggressive and respectable off-season acquisitions, no doubt about that.
By 'team to beat', I mean who do you think is going to be the superior ballclub come post-season. I know it's just about blind speculation at this point, so it's more of a 'wild guess' type of thing just for fun..
I think as long as Shaq remains healthy, it's real hard to bet against him.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #38
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

blackdog you forgot about Van Exel off the bench as well. Their second five of Van Exel, Barry, Finley, Horry, and Nesterovic is about as good as it gets in terms of NBA benches and that is not even mentioning the fact that they still have Glenn Robinson coming off the bench as well. Not too bad for someone who could potentially be the 11th guy off your bench.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #39
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Kobe IS the Lakers is pretty accurate Shawn. That's why they suck though. If the Lakers were a team, instead of being a manifestation of Kobe's ego, they would be winners.

Magic was never just another player on the roster too Shawn. Thing is, Magic never thought of himself as the ONLY player on the roster. Kareem had a little Kobe in him and it did sour me a little on him during his playing career. Thing is, the man produced rings on cue and wasn't a complete a-blank like Kobe is.

Big difference there. And that is something Kobe doesn't understand. I can still watch though. There is always the hope the scoreboard falls from the rafters right on #8's giant head.

socal...

I too cherish the ENTIRE organization and what it stood for... on and off the court. That's why I'm a fan of the Lakers and not of Kobe Bryant. This is the biggest challenge the organization has ever faced. I hope they can turn it around by getting rid of the classless losers within the organization and showing they can handle adversity. They have few people left there that I would consider upstanding human beings (Rambis, Vitti, Magic to name a few) that it takes to return the team to past glory.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:55 AM   #40
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
ok perhaps not quite EVERYONE else.
Yes, I am serious, SoCal sports.. Kobe IS the Lakers, not just another player on the roster.
I see where you're coming from, but if you hate watching Kobe, you're going to hate watching the Lakers, and how can you be a fan of something you hate to watch? That's where I'm coming from..
See your point. I still watch every Laker game I can but I admitt I spend a lot of time bad mouthing Kobe which does effect my viewing enjoyment. He is the Lakers right now, and that is what scares me. I worry the Lakers will end up like the Sixers with Iverson. One guy doing all the scoring and being just an average team. The Sixers at least eventually put enough character players with Iverson to make a run at a championship. The Lakers don't have that supporting cast right now but I think they will be a little better than last year. I think bringing Phil back will just add to the ego problems, but I guess time will tell.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #41
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

buckeyefan

I really miss the showtime teams. Not just all the wins but the way that team was willing to play as a team and perform in their roles. I agree, this is gonna be a tough team to turn around. I felt better about the Laker teams right after all the showtime guys retired, I think they had more potential then this Laker team. Right now I don't see how the Lakers are going to get back in the near future, I guess we will have to just be patient and hope the Lakers can come up with some quality people.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:15 AM   #42
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I see since we have a new Kobe fan with the L.A. Gear Rosey Sunglasses that the threads are starting to be littered with the wild assessments like seeing the "true Kobe".

Fact is we've seen the "true Kobe" the last few years & still we hear of another "true Kobe" along with the insane comments like "Prior, he was constantly used in the same breath as MJ." which is true since it was by the media trying to replace MJ & ran with the Rosey Sunglass gang.

I say let's have the Kobe apologists start a thread so it'll be answered by the facts. I wish Marc could find those old MJ/Bryant threads that had everything from facts/stats/testimonials to make this easier but what the Hell...I'm game & I'm sure some others are so we don't have to listen to this years new propaganda that mysteriously excludes Bryant's play & antics the past few years...

Besides, I thought this was a Heat thread....
Old 10-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #43
SoCal sports
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry, we have strayed from the thread, I guess that is what happens when you get a bunch of sports fanatics talking about sports. Bless our little hearts. Sometimes I forget my point even as I'm typing it in, just so much sports to talk about. Thanks for bringing us back Tarkus.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #44
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol:, SoCal...

N/P with straying. Maybe this is just a late night where hearing some of this latest spin about Bryant just got to be too much. I can honestly say Bryant is the only athlete in any sport that continuously is thrust into the media & threads when his performance should be one of discussion on "what's going on??" than "Well, the reason why he's great is...".

It just boggles the mind. Use any example or sport you want...Take TO & his antics. Hate him or not, he still brings it at a high level. You say anything bad about Bryant & the first thing is "Kobe hater" as tho that hides his low % shooting, TOs, alienating coaches & teammates, etc. & that's just 1 example...

So don't worry about me pointing out it's a Heat thread...I haven't said any Heat talk myself... & now that I posted this, the proverbial ____ will hit the fan but at least it'll be in another thread hopefully...
Old 10-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #45
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
blackdog you forgot about Van Exel off the bench as well.
you're right. the Spurs bench alone could take out some bottom tier teams: C- Robert Horry, SF/PF- Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto, SG- Brent Barry, PG- Nick Van Exel.

need points over D? sub in Finley for Bowen, Parker causing turnovers? sub Van Exel in

Quote:
By 'team to beat', I mean who do you think is going to be the superior ballclub come post-season. I know it's just about blind speculation at this point, so it's more of a 'wild guess' type of thing just for fun..
in the post season i still say the Spurs. everyone on their team have been there & done that. what situation are not they equipped to handle?

the Heat have mix and match of different levels of experience and no one really knows yet how they will mesh.

that's why the Spurs have the edge- a championship team that just added some solid veterans to create the deepest team in the NBA.

Last edited by blackdogsong; 10-08-2005 at 10:42 AM.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote