Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-16-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Exclamation VICK HURT! Could miss major time!

Quote:
Vick fractures leg in first quarter

Associated Press

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick fractured his right fibula Saturday night in an exhibition game against Baltimore.

There is no immediate word on how long the Pro Bowl quarterback will be sidelined.

Vick was chased out of the pocket on a third-down play late in the first quarter and was tackled by Adalius Thomas. Vick appeared to fall awkwardly on his right knee, and grabbed it even before he fell all the way to the ground.

Thomas, after briefly celebrating the tackle, came back over to check on Vick, and several of Vick's teammates also kneeled over him. When it was apparent that he was hurt, a hush came over the crowd at the Georgia Dome.

After he was looked at by the medical staff for about five minutes, Vick got up with some help and limped a couple of steps to the cart. He was wheeled to the locker room amid a standing ovation.

Vick made the Pro Bowl last season in his first full season as a starter and set three NFL records for rushing by a quarterback.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...earlyvick.html

A day after I draft him as my first pick in my one of my fantasy leagues ... no! Anyway, I knew this was coming ... folks, the MADDEN COVER JINX lives up to its name again. I wished the best for Vick, but with playing on turf and his almost wreckless style (read: no sliding here), a big injury was bound to happen.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that Madden cover jinx is a real problem. Can it be too long before the NFL and NFLPA decide that EA has to come up with something else to put on the Madden covers.

The most recent story from espn.com suggests he's gone at least six weeks, which isn't too bad. He'd be back, then, before October. However, this has to have Falcon fans wondering what else might go wrong with their team, supposedly a Super Bowl contender.

Dave
Old 08-16-2003, 10:11 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Yeah, that Madden cover jinx is a real problem. Can it be too long before the NFL and NFLPA decide that EA has to come up with something else to put on the Madden covers.

The most recent story from espn.com suggests he's gone at least six weeks, which isn't too bad. He'd be back, then, before October. However, this has to have Falcon fans wondering what else might go wrong with their team, supposedly a Super Bowl contender.

Dave
Six weeks is optimistic, IMO. It sounds season-ending, but we'll know for sure when more details are available. Perhaps the games could go back to putting Madden himself on the cover like the old days ... then again, that's like putting a dirty sock on the cover of Playboy ... it isn't going to sell as well.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Well, they could always throw Lisa Guerrero on the cover. That'd sell.

Dave
Old 08-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Well, they could always throw Lisa Guerrero on the cover. That'd sell.

Dave
Genius, Dave, genius. :nod:
Old 08-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Lol. Then Scott Erickson would do have do the sideline reporting and she would have to hold the mic...

But anyway, it's too bad Vick is injured. Then again, if they got rid of preseason football...

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:47 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Now the Falcons face a serious dilemma: Do they roll the dice with Doug Johnson or try to acquire someone with a bit more back class, as they say at the racetrack? Yes, I know Johnson was awesome against the Giants last year when Vick was hurt and missed that game, but can he produce like that over the course of what could very well turn out to be an entire season? Do names like Clint Longley and Mike Boryla mean anything to anybody here? I bet they do to our "oldtimers" - and these people know who they are.

And remember that the infamous Bobby Beathard is now on Atlanta's payroll as a "consultant" - making it more likely than otherwise that the Falcons will indeed engineer a quick-fix trade and give up more draft choices to bring someone new on board.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

i saw it coming i just didn't expect it this soon. Atlanta is certainly in a pickle now. Johnson or a quick fix. Anyone know what Jeff George is doing....
Old 08-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
mr.rooter
Grizzled Veteran

mr.rooter is on a distinguished road

Yah, the madden cover jinx strikes again. The Falcons aren't going to do so good without Vick. Vick is there superstar and they need him back asap. For the weeks he's not playing in the season, I think they are going to lose. Vick shouldn't be trying to run and scramble in a preseason game. Bad mistake + good tackle from behind = Vick injured.
That's what think.
mr.rooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:51 AM   #10
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Yeah, maybe Vick should have been working on his passing game rather than trying to scramble around when nothing was there. Throwing the ball away, and living to play another down as I heard last night would have been the right thing to do. But running and making plays is a part of Vick's game, but he does not have to impress everyone in preseason with his legs and taking risks by doing so. I really think the Ray Lewis comments made prior to this preseason game made Vick try to do a little more than he should do in a preseason game.

Even if Vick comes back in early October, as it has been suggested, I would think his speed and big play ability would be diminished at least for this season. This could be a year in which Vick just has to suffer through until he can get completely healthy, and I can definitely see him coming back before he is really ready and not being the same player he was a year ago. Might not be until next season until we see the Mike Vick from 2002.

Doug Johnson is a former gator, so we all know that is a key to success in the NFL right there...lol. Doug can sling the ball a little bit, but I agree with Anthony I don't think he can win on a consistent basis in this league.

Joey
Old 08-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #11
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road

Do you think it's possible if the injury is long term, that the Falcons would go after Kelly Holcomb or possibly, Marc Bulger or Kurt Warner?
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:59 PM   #12
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

NO.

He's only out for a month. The Falcons would have to give up too much for any of those guys.

Besides, at 6pm EST Cleveland is gonna announce their starting Qb. And from what has gone down this pre-season....I'll bet $$$ it's gonna be Holcolmb!!
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:40 PM   #13
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road

Holcomb will probably be the next Scott Mitchel, though i hope that he isn't.
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:55 AM   #14
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I think Holcomb has proven he's anything BUT a Scott Mitchell.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:16 AM   #15
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Everybody keeps bringing up the Madden Cover Jinx, but no one is bringing up the No-Two-Winning-Seasons-In-A-Row Jinx that has dogged the Falcons throughout their entire history as an NFL franchise! [Except for me, of course!]

If it turns out that Vick will be out more than six weeks - and certainly if he's lost for the season - look for Atlanta to approach Cleveland about a trade for the "loser" as between Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb (or, as Zakdady suggests, they might try and acquire Bulger from St. Louis; since the Falcons and Rams are no longer division rivals this is a possibility). Hey, if they were so willing to give up a first-rounder for a #2 receiver, then why should they be against giving up another one for a #2 quarterback? (And as I mentioned in my previous post, Bobby Beathard never met a high draft pick he didn't want to trade away).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote