Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about
Default Hank Steinbrenner is an Ass

Hank says teams should not 'forget who subsidizes a lot of them'

The acrimony between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays took on a new edge Friday, after Major League Baseball handed down its punishment for Wednesday's melee between the two teams.

This time, Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays.

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point." -espn.com

Down go the Yankees. If this guy is running the ship the Yanks are in serious trouble. What a freaking idiot. Maybe we should contract all the teams but the Yankees, Redsox, Mets, and Dodgers.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
deavobadger
All-Star Player

deavobadger is on a distinguished road

If HS doesn't want to subsidize other teams, he shouldn't spend so much freakin' money!!! Maybe he would prefer a salary cap instead?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

So what, the Rays and Royals are just supposed to roll over and not even try when the Yanks come to town? Is that what he is saying? Maybe if his team exercised some fiscal responsibility of their own he wouldn't have to worry about what teams are getting a chunk of their money.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
So what, the Rays and Royals are just supposed to roll over and not even try when the Yanks come to town?
That's what I got out of it. I wonder if he sat down and came up with that or it just popped in his head during the interview? Either way he should try to explain how the hell he came up with that BS.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

From the comments I have heard attributed to Baby Stein I get the distinct impression most of what he says is not thought at all. He strikes me as a guy who says a lot of things without ever truly thinking them through.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Again I will say that the divorce that happened between King George's daughter and her ex is a serious problem for the Yankees. That man knew baseball and would have done a much better job of running the Yankees than Prince Hank is.
As has been said, if the Yankees want to remain competitive, they must find the right players, not just the most expensive ones. If they don't like paying the luxury tax, they should exercise some fiscal responsibility.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Interesting change of events.......

Hank wants Yankees to play more like Rays

ESPN.com news services

With the New York Yankees falling two games under .500, team senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner is weighing in.

And he wants to see more effort out of baseball's best-paid team, or changes could be on the horizon.

This is going to get turned around. If it's not turned around this year, then it will be turned around next year, by force if we have to.

"They've got to play smarter and harder," he said Wednesday. "The injuries -- when you're missing Alex Rodriguez and Jorge Posada, that makes it tough. The injuries make a huge difference. At the same time, you've got to get it done. We still have plenty of good hitters. We need to get the job done."

In fact, Steinbrenner wants to see the Yankees play more like the Tampa Bay Rays, who had two straight wins over New York heading into Wednesday's game. The Rays, AL East cellar-dwellers for most of their history, moved into first place with Tuesday night's 2-1 win in 11 innings.

In an interview with the New York Post, Steinbrenner pointed to the Rays as an example of a team playing the game with effort and passion, saying his team has "got to start playing the way the Rays are playing."
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Of course you know the irony here is that A-Rod makes more money than the entirety of the Rays starting lineup. In fact he makes more than every non-pitcher put together on Tampa and Jeter and Giambi both make more than Tampa's entire pitching staff.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

GilbertArenas is on a distinguished road

The yank's better figure this thing out... Something needs to be done to wake up the offense. I can't blame the hitting coach since he did a find job last year, perhaps it's the fact that Girardi needs to come up with a stable line up...
GilbertArenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, to be fair, Girardi is managing without the team's leading hitter in '07, Jorge Posada, and the league's reigning MVP. Those are two huge holes to fill right there.

But, what I don't get is why Darrell Rasner gets shuttled out to the 'pen after giving the Yanks 2 quality starts in favor of Ian Kennedy who has yet to show he is going to get anyone out on a consistent basis at the Major League level this season.

The Yankees were always going to live and die by what they got out of their staff and thus far they have not gotten the contributions from the guys they were counting on like Kennedy, Hughes, LaTroy Hawkins, and Ross Ohlendorf and Pettite's performance has been spotty this year as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
themush
Banned

Hank to Rays fans: "Better be careful"

Take this how you will, and stop laughing when you can.

Hank Steinbrenner - yes, the Hank Steinbrenner who took the place of his famous father to run the Yankees, yes, the New York Yankees - apparently has heard enough from Rays fans.

And he doesn't like it.

In an interview with Bob Nightengale of USA Today at this Tampa office, Steinbrenner said:

"There's a lot of excitement around here from the Rays fans, but almost to a point of arrogance. They better be careful. They'll learn this (expletive) can change real quick.'''

Yes, that was the boss of the Yankees calling Rays fans arrogant.

Further, Steinbrenner repeated what he brought up in spring training, that small-market teams, such as the Rays, should be thanking the Yankees for their financial subsidies through revenue-sharing and luxury tax payments - and took a pretty good shot at the Red Sox in the process.

"People in baseball know it, whether they want to admit it or not,'' Steinbrenner said. "It helps everyone when the Yankees are good. The Red Sox, whether they're good or not, doesn't necessarily matter, nationally. … Let's face it: The Yankees are baseball history. You're talking about 26 championships."

Big balls Hank. Wait until the series is over then run your yap. God I wish this asshole would bump into me at the bar one night. Prick.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Yeah, this guy is a moron...

He's the same guy who said that the NL needs to catch up with the times and move to the DH, simply because his pitcher was injured running the bases...

So let me get this straight Hank, your BASEBALL player got hurt, PLAYING BASEBALL and you want to blame the national league...

What a joke.

Tony Kornheiser said it best...

"This guys was born on 3rd base and he thinks he hit a triple."

He is just another a-hole who has never accomplished anything other than being born to the right father...

I never really hated the Yankees, but Hank has made sure that I will be a hater for the rest of my life.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Hank is at it again:

Quote:
But if you want to talk about things that infuriate me about the game today, revenue sharing doesn't top the list. The biggest problem is the divisional setup in major league baseball. I didn't like it in the 1970s, and I hate it now.
Baseball went to a multidivision setup to create more races, rivalries and excitement. But it isn't fair. You see it this season, with plenty of people in the media pointing out that Joe Torre and the Dodgers are going to the playoffs while we're not. This is by no means a knock on Torre -- let me make that clear -- but look at the division they're in. If L.A. were in the A.L. East, it wouldn't be in the playoff discussion. The A.L. East is never weak. Ask the teams that finished behind us all of those seasons. I'll say it right now: Boston should have made the playoffs in 1978. We beat the Red Sox in that one-game playoff, but they still had a better record than the Royals, who won the A.L. West. And that's one of many examples.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=462429

Funny how he neglects to mention the fact that the Yankees have benefited as much as anyone from the Divisional setup. If they had not changed it in '69 the Yanks would have only 3 WS titles since '69 instead of 6. He backtracks by saying the top 4 teams in each league should make the postseason instead of the way it is now. But it seems hypocritical to say you hated the divisional setup from the start and then suggest we need the same number of teams in the playoffs. If you strip the divisions away is there really a need for playoffs? When it comes right down to it everyone will play everyone else and equal number of times so it should just be the top teams from each league squaring off to decide the champion.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
themush
Banned

Sports talk personalities have to love this idiot.