Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kevin Brown a Yankee??

According to multiple sources, the Yankees have seriously contemplated acquiring righthander Kevin Brown from the Dodgers. In return for Brown, who will turn 39 in March and will make $15 million in each of the next two seasons, the Yankees have offered their beleaguered righthander, Jeff Weaver.

I would welcome this trade. Plus the Yankees won't be giving up Soriano and/or Nick Johnson in the trade.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...orts-headlines
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Seriously, I would think that it would take some "sweetening" to make this deal fly. I like Jeff Weaver, he is a young guy who just couldn't handle New York City and its pressures, but he isn't enough to make me pull the trigger on this deal by himself. A lot of $$$ would have to be thrown in (say his entire salary for the duration of the contract plus a minor leaguer).
This would not be a reasonable deal for the Dodgers, at this time.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.

Last edited by catman; 12-02-2003 at 12:23 PM.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

The guy really never did anything for the Dodgers why would u want him with any team.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I would take him in a heartbeat. He's had his injury problems the two years before this one. But he's managed to remain healthy throughout most of his career. And when he's healthy he's dominant. He could have been a 20 game winner with an actual offense last year in Dodgerland.

Although I probably wouldn't take him at $15 mil a year anymore. Not that I would trade him straight up for Jeff Weaver though either...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

If Brian Cashman wants to keep his job he'll pull the trigger and run with this deal. There is nothing Jeff Weaver can do for the Yanks that Kevin Brown can't do better. Injuries and age aside he's good pitcher and getting anything for Weaver would be a plus. I just want to see him gone. He's never going to be anything in New York and his welcome is officially warnout.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Let the Yankees get him. I'm looking forward to the Yankees having one of their top salary earners on the DL 5 of the six month long season. Wahoo!!!

Dave
Old 12-03-2003, 03:14 AM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't think the Dodgers would even consider trading Brown unless it's for Johnson and Weaver. The Dodgers need a first baseman badly.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #8
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Let the Yankees get him. I'm looking forward to the Yankees having one of their top salary earners on the DL 5 of the six month long season. Wahoo!!!

Dave
If the Dodgers will give us Brown for Weaver I don't see why he shouldn't do it. Weaver's welcome in New York is so paper thin it barely exists. I would sooner take a 39-year old ace even if he has a stint or 2 on the DL for a 27-year old who has no confidence and not only blows it in big games but pretty much all games. Two good years with Brown is better than 5 horrendous ones with Weaver.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I don't disagree, Alex. I would unload Weaver for coal, too, if I had him on my team. As a Sox fan, I relish the idea of Kevin Brown sucking up ten to fifteen million of the Yankees monopoly money to sit in the dugout, trying not to hurt his back/arm/shoulder/elbow/knee/other random body part. As a Sox fan, I'll miss Weaver being on the Yankees staff to blow games all over the calendar, but, at least in this trade, I don't have to worry about what they get in return for Weaver.

Meanwhile, Schilling has to make Yankees fans wonder what the real next move to improve THEIR rotation is... Brown is nowhere reliable enough to be considered Schilling-esque in the "arms war."

Dave
Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

This is what I hate about baseball.

Doesn't anybody else hate how the Yankees and Red Sox just continue to go out and sign all the good players? The Yankees today signed Paul Quantrill, re-signed Felix Heredia, the Red Sox are supposedly going to sign Keith Foulke anyday. This is getting disgusting.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #11
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
This is what I hate about baseball.

Doesn't anybody else hate how the Yankees and Red Sox just continue to go out and sign all the good players? The Yankees today signed Paul Quantrill, re-signed Felix Heredia, the Red Sox are supposedly going to sign Keith Foulke anyday. This is getting disgusting.
Not really, when the last three world series winners have been the Marlins, Angels and Dbacks. Two of those winners defeating the "evil empire" in the actual world series.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Fans no longer have reason to complain about small market teams not winning. They do it on consistent basis now. It's no longer a valid arguement. I admit baseball's system is screwed. Up I can't decide which is worse- the MLB or the NHL. All the Yankees and Red Sox do is take advantage of it. Steinbrenner is an owner who gives a damn about his time. Imagine what baseball would be like if every team had an owner that cared (I don't mean spend $200 million care, I mean maybe $100 million)? The league would be better off. I'm not in favor of any salary cap but if MLB had to have one I'd be in favor of one that will let you spend up to a certain limit, maybe $120 million. Then they would also have a salary floor forcing owners to spend say $50 Million. In that case everyone would get what they want. The Yankees could spend and the Pirates could be conservative but still have a shot since they would need to spend $50 million.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I agree with Brian that you'd like to see some other teams make runs at the big-name free agents. It is certainly tiring to see the same two teams take all the talent. As for Brown, I wouldn't pay a 39-year-old, injury-plagued pitcher.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I agree with Brian that you'd like to see some other teams make runs at the big-name free agents. It is certainly tiring to see the same two teams take all the talent. As for Brown, I wouldn't pay a 39-year-old, injury-plagued pitcher.
So it's better to pitch a 27 year old with no confidence and is hated by all Yanks fans?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
So it's better to pitch a 27 year old with no confidence and is hated by all Yanks fans?
Where did I say that? I think Weaver needs to leave without a doubt, but I am never in favor of teams signing overrated, declining players with big contracts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote