Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default How to Fix the Red Sox

There is an interesting poll at ESPN.com about this. Check it out.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=1765

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

- Kevin Towers.

- I don't think the Red Soxs should pull the trigger on trading Manny, at least not for Glaus and Erstad. Glaus had an great year with Arizona, but he has a history of being injured. Erstad hit .273 with 7 home runs last season, so basically he's a Kevin Millar Plus. Regardless, losing Ramirez will significantly affect Ortiz's numbers.

- Let Damon go.

- Keep Foulke. If he's healthy, there's only a handful of closers I'd want over him.

- Pick up a mid-level pitcher (Paul Byrd would be a good fit). A healthy rotation of Schilling, Clement, Byrd, Wells and Arroyo is pretty good. Papelbon was very good during his brief bullpen stint late last season.

- Get Flash Gordon. He's been excellent the past couple years, and signing him would hurt the Yankees' bullpen.

- Timlin. An absolute workhouse. Why wasn't he this good with the M's?!?!

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

They can't let Manny go; but he'll be gone by spring - he flat out doesn't want to play there. Hopefully Ortiz can talk him into staying. If Manny leaves, Ortiz's numbers will go down significantly, now you can walk him. They were looking at a trade w/ the Mets, Manny for Beltran, but Manny doesn't wanna go there.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Gordon isn't going to Boston. Flash wants to be a closer and he won't have that opportunity in Boston (or obviously with the Yankees). If he doesn't end up signing elsewhere as a closer, he'll be back with the Yankees.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I read that Gordon is not adverse to coming back and setting up for Mo if the Yanks were willing to give him three years. Problem being that the Yanks are not interested in gving him a three year deal. I wonder if anyone would take the chance on him closing given that he has blown 13 saves the last two years as a setup man and seems to go through stretches in August and September where is elbow starts flaring up on him.

Last I heard Towers had already turned down the Red Sox and is content with staying in San Diego for the time being.

The Sox need to get a legit number two starter. Clement, Wells, and Arroyo are not number twos they are number threes at best. Another mid-level starter does little to bolster the rotation.

Since when were the Sox and Mets working on a Manny for Beltran deal? The most prevalent one that has been circulating involving the Sox and Mets has Manny going to the Mets, Cameron, Lastings Milledge, and Aaron Heilman going to Tampa and Aubrey Huff and Baez going to Boston.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Mets and Sox had talked about it, but those talks ended fast.
I know about the Cameron deal
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=111103
I'll try to find the link about Beltran
Old 11-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Here's all I could find - although it doesn't really say much. It was back in September:
http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archiv...2/1221862.html
Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

But this stuff is all old news mostly in relation to the trade deadline deal that was never remotely close to coming to fruition. Gammons simply implies that the Mets may consider trading Beltran this off season, but most of what I have seen in popular media suggests that the Mets have no real inclination to trade him right now.

I would hope that Boston holds out for something better than Beltran for Man-Ram straight up. I doubt Beltran is ever going to be the offensive juggernaut that Manny is.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Interesting little poll there.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
But this stuff is all old news mostly in relation to the trade deadline deal that was never remotely close to coming to fruition. Gammons simply implies that the Mets may consider trading Beltran this off season, but most of what I have seen in popular media suggests that the Mets have no real inclination to trade him right now.
I would hope that Boston holds out for something better than Beltran for Man-Ram straight up. I doubt Beltran is ever going to be the offensive juggernaut that Manny is.
I know, but it looks like Manny wants out - so really, all you can say is: Ok, although no one can replace a hitter like Manny, who's the best guy we can get for him? I'd take Beltran over some of the other rumors (Glaus), but it's not gonna happen. BoSox are gonna end up getting some old, washed up stiff (Raffy??? LOL).
Oh well, guess it doesn't matter, after the 2004 season I can die happy... or at least wait another 28 years.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Red Sox deal Renteria to Braves for Marte
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252297
The Braves and Red Sox have agreed on a deal that would ship shortstop Edgar Renteria to Atlanta in exchange for Braves third-base prospect Andy Marte.
Marte is rated as the top prospect in the Braves organization by Baseball America. Last season in Triple-A, he batted .275 with 20 homers and 74 RBI. In 9 at-bats with the Braves in 2005, he hit two homers and drove in six runs.
The move leaves Boston without a shortstop amid speculation that it will trade Marte to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Julio Lugo.

Geez, I know Renteria had a "bust" year with a .276 ave, 8 HR's, 70 RBI, and 25+ errors.... but c'mon, give him more than a year. What are they gonna do for a SS if they don't get Lugo?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
soxfan
Grizzled Veteran

soxfan is on a distinguished road

I dunno -- bring Nomar back? Or sign Tejada, who wants to be traded?
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

If we got Tejada that would prob mean Manny would go to Balt... I doubt Manny would wanna go there but who knows? I'd take Tejada for Manny - he's prob the best we could get for him. But man, wouldn't it be sweet to keep Manny & get Tejada? Its fun to dream!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I don't see the Orioles trading a MVP candidate to an AL East rival. I was going to mention the Dodgers as a trade candidate, but they just signed Furcal. A team would have to be loaded with prospects to get Tejada (or so the thinking is).

Of course, Seattle could use him. But the M's could use a bit of everything.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
I don't see the Orioles trading a MVP candidate to an AL East rival.
I bet they would if they got Manny in return.