Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default A-Rod or Jeter in Center?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2240207

NEW YORK -- Yankees manager Joe Torre said Monday the club is keeping its options open for its pressing need of a center fielder, including the possible use of one of its two All-Star-caliber shortstops, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez...

IMO I think Jeter is a better SS than A-Rod is a 3rd baseman. I'd send A-Rod to center (if they must send one of them). Or... do you move A-Rod to SS and Jeter to Center? Answer: Pay Johnny Damon $10 million a year to cut his hair and play center - problem solved!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Not really, since Damon is an above-average fielder with an average arm (and that's being generous). And Damon is seeking a five-year deal, with the Yankees reportedly offering no more than three years. Damon at the top of the order would definitely be a major upgrade, though.

The Yankees actually restraining themselves from overspending in the off-season? Who knew!

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

If they were to make a change like this, I would rather see Jeter go into CF. Bring A Rod back to SS and pick up a 3B out of free agency.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Acutally, I think Damon's agent is looking for a 7 year deal in the neighborhood of 12 mil per. I think he will be lucky to get more than a four or five year deal.

The most cost-effective and probably best transition from a defensive point of view would probably be to move Jeter to center and A-Rod to short as popular opinion seems to be that A-Rod is the superior shortstop defensively and then sign a guy like Bill Mueller or Joe Randa as temporary filler until Eric Duncan is ready for the bigs.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

That would be their best move IMO - Jeter to CF, A-Rod to SS and sign a guy like Bill Mueller (I'd hate to see that:redhot: ) to play third.
Weird how the Yanks haven't opened their wallet yet this off-season? I'm still waiting for that HUGE deal.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Cashman has been rather coy about that this year. The thing is the free agent market is rather thin at the Yanks need positions and other teams are willing to hand out insane contracts. On top of that the Yanks don't have a ton of talent to deal with unless they are willing to part with someone like Cano, Wang, or Shawn Chacon which I wouldn't do at this stage given that guys like Wright and Pavano were highly unreliable last year.

They wanted B. J. Ryan with the idea of grooming him to be Mo's successor but the Jays swooped in and overpaid for him.

They were talking to Brian Giles, but now that the Jays have offered him a ludicrous five year deal the Yanks probably are not going to be that interested.

Giles and Damon are really the only two big name OFers who can play center in the market and the pitching available is pretty thin aside from the closers.

Cashman claims he is intent on rebuilding the farm system and with few upper level prospects to spare it is beginning to look like the Yanks may sit tight in terms of acquiring any big time talent.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #7
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

The Yankees aren't opening up the wallet because buying World Series rings doesn't work anymore. Bubba Crosby will probably in center until they make a trade next season.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Acutally, I think Damon's agent is looking for a 7 year deal in the neighborhood of 12 mil per. I think he will be lucky to get more than a four or five year deal.
He's 32. No way he gets 7 years. 5 years at 12 mill is overpaying IMO. He's old and throws like a girl. Literally. It'll be just like the Bernie Williams situation if anyone is paying him 12 mil in 2010 at 37 years old. His hitting style will suffer as he ages and loses batspeed, as will his range and baserunning.

I'd like to see the Sox sign him for 3-4 years max at no more than $12 mil. Even 4 years at 12 is pushing it, but given the losses of Pedro, possibly Manny and a Schilling that may never be the same, management needs to hang onto at least one more fan favorite/all-star to go along with Papi and Tek.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, remember his agent is Scott Boras. The same Scott Boras who thought he was going to get Greg Maddux a five year deal a couple of years ago, and Kevin Millwood a five year deal worth 75 mil. Popular opinion seems to be that he gets a four, maybe five, year deal from someone.

I think one of the reasons the Yanks are not opening up their wallets is the free agent pool is rather thin this year and they are still licking their wounds from some of the bad signings they have made the past couple of years.

To be perfectly honest I think it is in their best interest to clear themselves of some of the hideous contracts they have, and recover a bit and then get after it again in another year or so when they have more financial flexibility and some more young talent to work with.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

You'd think that Dblee - but Steinbrenner wants those Championships. No way they "sit" on anything. Yeah, the free-agency market is a little thin, but that won't stop the Yanks. They'll make a move - if not now, they prob have some HUGE trade before the deadline come next season.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But who do they have that they are willing to deal that they will get someone in return that will make them that much better?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

They could dump Jaret Wright, Tony Womack, Tanyon Sturtze, Bubba Crosby, Mark Belhorn and Andy Phillips (sent to Columbus). But I don't know who would want those guys.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I say Jeter plaY Cf-better arm.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
They could dump Jaret Wright, Tony Womack, Tanyon Sturtze, Bubba Crosby, Mark Belhorn and Andy Phillips (sent to Columbus). But I don't know who would want those guys.
My point exactly. The only younger players they have worth dealing that are MLB caliber players that they could anything for at this stage are Chacon, Cano, and Wang.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Well its not the "blockbuster" deal we've been waiting for, but $17m for 3 years ain't bad.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245182
NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees agreed Friday to a $17 million, three-year contract with reliever Kyle Farnsworth, moving quickly to replace Tom Gordon as the primary setup man for Mariano Rivera.
A source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Rangers offered Farnsworth a three-year, $16.5 million contract with a vesting option that would have taken the deal to $21 million, plus incentives. Meanwhile, Atlanta proposed a three-year deal worth close to $15 million.