Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
zjar
Rookie Player

zjar is on a distinguished road
Default I thought Wade was God?

Hey Kobe haters, I thought y'all said Wade was the best and could lead a team by himself. He led Miami to a 12-10 record, the very same record as the Lakers. The same record yet he still has Mourning, Haslem, Walker, Posey, Payton and Williams!! Who does Kobe have besides Odom and a bunch of youngsters! You will retort that Kobe shoots too much. But who else is supposed to shoot and who else has stepped up? Nobody, including Odom, though as of late he has picked it up. He is shooting 44% on the season, 49% in the last 10 games. SO as the team has improved and gotten better in the triangle so has Kobe's shot selection and percentage.

Watch out if they can pick up Artest. I hear Mihm, George and possibly Bynum for Artest and Foster. GO FOR IT!!
zjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjar
Hey Kobe haters, I thought y'all said Wade was the best and could lead a team by himself. He led Miami to a 12-10 record, the very same record as the Lakers. The same record yet he still has Mourning, Haslem, Walker, Posey, Payton and Williams!! Who does Kobe have besides Odom and a bunch of youngsters! You will retort that Kobe shoots too much. But who else is supposed to shoot and who else has stepped up? Nobody, including Odom, though as of late he has picked it up. He is shooting 44% on the season, 49% in the last 10 games. SO as the team has improved and gotten better in the triangle so has Kobe's shot selection and percentage.

Watch out if they can pick up Artest. I hear Mihm, George and possibly Bynum for Artest and Foster. GO FOR IT!!
lol.. fair enough.. but please explain to me what Kobe Bryant doing in his 3rd year with the Lakers?

btw, if Artest would go to Los Angeles, the clincher in that deal would be Odom and Bynum.
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
zjar
Rookie Player

have to compare at the same age. wade went to marquette for 2 years. kobe's 3rd year in the league he went for 19.9 a game. wade's first or his equivalent to bryant's third in essence, he went for 18. :-)
Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
zjar
Rookie Player

and not necessarily. the lakers give everything the pacers want out of a deal with this deal:
george- an expiring contract and a small forward
bynum- a young talent preferrably a PF or C
#1 pick-
and he is moved to the west coast where the chnces of him hurting the pacers over the course of the season is diminished
Old 12-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

That trade makes sense for both teams, although Kupchek would probably not want to have Jeff Foster's ugly game/contract. Probably one of the more sensible Artest trade scenarios

If the trade happened, I'm assuming Odom would move to PG permanently, with Artest taking the SF spot, leaving Parker to come off the bench. Then once the Lakers get a decent frontcourt they're all set...

Just came across Ian Thomsen's SI article that writes about trades that would work. He mentions Artest for Bynum, George and Medvedenko. That's a good deal for both parties.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ns2/index.html

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Artest is not going to LA. From everything I have read and heard the Pacers are insisting on Odom being a part of any deal for Artest and the Lakers are not willing to do that. Which makes sense as moving Odom for Artest does little to improve the team. Plus, the Pacers can probably do better than George, Medvedenko, and Bynum elsewhere.

The reason the Heat have struggled so much this year is Riley couldn't leave well enough alone and had to go out and get guys like 'Toine and Jason Williams who are not known to be good 'team' players.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

agreed, Artest is not going to LA. As good as he is, he's not worth trading Lamar Odom who is already known to jive well with Kobe, and is finally starting to demonstrate that he's 'feeling' the triangle.

The reason the Heat have struggled so much this year, in addition to what doublee said, but I feel should have been more stated is: Shaq doesn't really 'show up' until late in the season. Early injury?? Why am I not surprised..
But he will show up, and when he does... look out. He's the 'MDE' for a reason.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Kobe haters, I thought y'all said Wade was the best and could lead a team by himself. He led Miami to a 12-10 record, the very same record as the Lakers. The same record yet he still has Mourning, Haslem, Walker, Posey, Payton and Williams!!
There's no way you can put Miami's slow start on Dwyane Wade. He's averaging a career high 27.2 ppg on nearly 47% shooting from the floor and also getting to the foul line a career high 10.8 times a game (meaning that he's currntly on pace for 885 FTA, a number that has only been attempted by 12 other players in history during an NBA season--all Hall of Famers or soon to be HOFers. In fact, only 6 guards have ever shot more than 800 in a season: Jordan, Oscar, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Tiny Archibald and World B. Free). Also a career high 6.5 boards from a 6'4" point/two combo (5th best of all guards in the league), and 6.5 assists (11th in the NBA). And while he's always been prone to turning the ball over, he's down nearly a full TO per game over last year. Add in ten 30 point games so far out of 25 total, and only three games where he scored under 20 points (and two of those he scored 19) and you have early MVP candidate numbers. Have you been watching this guy or just looking at Miami's W-L record?

Blame Riley for the overhaul, blame Van Gundy, blame Shaq or Posey for being hurt, blame Walker for being Walker, blame JWill for smoking too much weed, blame GP for being old.......but you can't blame Dwyane Wade. There's really not much more he could have done over the past 25 games.

Last edited by JayRedd; 12-21-2005 at 12:15 PM.
JayRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Wade is shooting a blazing 7% from beyond the arc.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #10
zjar
Rookie Player

Funny thing. Can't blame Wade for a slow start, but Kobe can take the blame for all the Laker's problems? Why can't the almighty Wade "lift" his team to victory as is expected of Kobe. And to blame it on his "teammates" who are not good "teammates". BS. They are good players, just as he is. But as Kobe and AI both prove, one man, can't lead a team. Shaq had Kobe. MJ had Pippen. The Spurs have a "team" as do the Pistons. But stop dissing Kobe and giving everyone else props, when he is accomplishing more with less. Who else on the Lakers has averaged more than 15 a game? Odom. More than 10 a game? Maybe George. He has no help. And no matter what you say, Walker, Williams, Payton, Mourning, Posey have proven themselves as players. Miami- 15-11 LA- 14-11

Did you see the 62 in 3 quarters? Oops I forgot, he shoots too much. Who else on the Lakers does or should?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 AM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Good article by Marc Stein on the Daily Dime. Basically Kobe will and should shoot 30 shots a night for the forseeable future. At least his 62 point freak-a-thon will keep the Kobe critics silent for awhile. Probably until Sunday...

Basically for the Lakers to stay competitive for a playoff spot they need to either 1) gel as a team and operate the triangle offense efficiently or 2) surround Kobe with players that can play in the system now.

Unless either happens, Kobe will have nights (not every one, but a lot of them) where he will have to will his team to victory, even if that means 30+ shot attempts. He'll have his off nights (9-33 at San Antonio), but this team should ride its superstar through the ups and downs. And considering tonight's performance they should ride Kobe for a while.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
JayRedd
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipps
Wade is shooting a blazing 7% from beyond the arc.
He's 3 for 29 from beyond the arc so far this year. That is roughly 1 attempt per game. Meaning you're right that he's not a good three-point shooter. But it also means that doesn't shoot threes. I'm willing to bet that at least half of those attempts are with the shot-clock winding down. So while Wade's lack of 3-point range can be considered his biggest flaw, the fact that he is able to resist the temptation to shoot threes (especially with Shaq on the sideline) is commendable. And his lack of range also makes his ability to get to the rim all that more amazing since defenders can sag back inside the are and don't have to worry about McGrady-style pull-ups.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
JayRedd
All-Star Player

Quote:
Funny thing. Can't blame Wade for a slow start, but Kobe can take the blame for all the Laker's problems? Why can't the almighty Wade "lift" his team to victory as is expected of Kobe. And to blame it on his "teammates" who are not good "teammates". BS. They are good players, just as he is. But as Kobe and AI both prove, one man, can't lead a team. Shaq had Kobe. MJ had Pippen. The Spurs have a "team" as do the Pistons. But stop dissing Kobe and giving everyone else props, when he is accomplishing more with less.
Well, I'm a HUUGGE Wade fan but you can officially disclude me from the anti-Kobe camp. Kobe is hands down the best guard in the League. I don't particularly like the guy, but if he can bring this terrible Laker roster to the playoffs, it only confirms the fact that he's the best player not named Duncan or Shaq in the League.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

I'd rather have Wade slash and drive than him chuck up three pointers all day.

You see the affect of being able to shoot had on players like T-Mac, Kobe, and Vince. They all shoot three's and don't drive it enough. No one on the Heats roster can consistently take it to the hoop other than Wade. But they have more than enough players that want to chuck it from the three.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:14 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Wade has never been an outside shooter.

da12ken...

Kobe played the Mavs. We should probably get over it. The reason why he went 9-33 against the Spurs is because they play defense. The real key to Laker success is Kobe shooting 47% and keeping his turnovers down, no matter how many points he gets.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote